We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Liverpool, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Flying back from Bangkok to London at the beginning of August. I've read that the sky train only starts at 6am which may be a little late if I need to check in 3 hours before my flight! Is there a bus which runs from the city centre to the airport? How much are taxis roughly? Thanks for your help!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Hi,

A taxi is the best way at that time and should be 350-400B

Cheers

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

The BTS Skytrain does not run to the airport in any case.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Taxis run all night long. Allow time for the taxi to get there. ( I am always at the airport 2 hours early. )

When you do a forum search you will find many posts asking the same question. If you have never used a taxi in Bangkok take the time to read up on how best to do it! (If you pay a flat rate you pay more than using the meter. And don't expect a taxi driver to have change for a 500 or 1000 baht note.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c18914/Thaila…

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Just ask your hotel to wave down a moving taxi. Emphasise taxi meter.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

What airline requires 3 hour advance airport check-in? In my experience quite a few airlines don't even offer 3-hour check-in other than to premium passengers as a convenience (as those passengers can usually segue to the airline lounge for refreshments, wifi, and reading materials).

I usually check in online ~24 hours prior to departure time. Then, I usually show up at the airport about 2 hours before departure - so a 6AM Airport Link (City Line local train) train would be OK for me for a 0835 departure time.

At that hour my alternative would be a booked taxi. Phone Taxi Radio 1681 (4-digit freephone number) or an alternative, and book a taxi the day previously. I would probably book the taxi for 0530 if I wanted to be early (especially if you are not sure where your airline's check-in aisle is, as Swampy airport will be quite busy at that hour). Have a phone number available for the taxi folks to ring you back with the license plate number of the booked taxi. They should phone within about 10-30 minutes before scheduled pickup time. There is a 20 baht fee for such booking, payable to the driver.

If you just get a taxi at the hotel door, or ask the hotel staff to get one for you - a taxi which pulls up to the hotel entrance to disgorge passengers should work. But at your hour I would not rely on that. (Personally, I would just walk to the nearest section of street that gets a steady flow of taxis at that hour. That could be just in front of the hotel, or could be a block or two away, depending on how conveniently located your hotel is.) Just avoid the hucksters lurking around in front of the hotel - who love to prey on the unsuspecting.

I always have a collection of red 100 baht notes, green 20 baht notes, and 1-2 blue 50 baht notes in my wallet, and also a few coins (in addition to a few 500 and 1000 baht notes). That way I can give them exact change, including for tolls if the taxi uses a toll road - and also have a good supply of small stuff for my return. If you don't plan to return to Bangkok anytime soon, and are trying to run down your baht cash, 350-400 baht, with several small notes, should be OK for the taxi fare plus tolls, if you're starting anywhere near central Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

Taxi the Best.

7. Re: 8.35am flight - how do I get to airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15