We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

Hello TripAdvisor Experts,

I am coming to Thailand in the beginning of August for 3 weeks. The broad itinerary is Chiang Mai, Bangkok and sunny beach excursions (your tips on quiet, dry, beautiful beaches in August are welcome). While in Bangkok I would like to get a suit with 2 pants and perhaps some shirts. Ideally, I would get a first fitting/sizing on my first 3 days in Bangkok, and then maybe 2nd fitting when I come back for my flight out. There are clearly so many amazing tailors to pick from, perhaps you can help me with some guidance on these questions.

Budget: $200 - 325 per suit. Looking for extra pair of paints with the suit and maybe 3 shirts.

On the Short List: Sarto di Moda, Amar the Boss, Crown Tailor, Tom's Fashion, any others...????

Questions:

1. Do certain shops specialize in higher quality suit construction (e.g. full canvas) and more modern cuts (e.g. softer shoulders, high armholes). Does full canvas cost extra?

2. How can I make the fitting and selection most efficient in terms of fabric selection, design and fitting? I might bring my button down shirt to show how I like my shirts, and perhaps give a sense of the suit.

3. Are there any negotiation or logistics matters I should be aware of ahead of time?

Any other tips?

Cheers,

- Gill

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

Do a forum search for tailors. (Hundreds of posts, many are negative!)

Never pay for everything up front!

If you wait to the last minute for your final fitting you may stuck with what you get.

One thing to consider, if it falls apart after you are home what will you do then?

Read some of the old posts on tailors who promised to mail the tailored item to the customer.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

2 fittings for a suit anywhere in the world is not the way to go.

Get some shirts made(maybe). Bring a jacket that fits well if you go this route.

1. Yes and yes.

2. You need more than 2 days/fittings to get this done. Minimum is 4-5 fittings IMO for a suit.

"I might bring my button down shirt to show how I like my shirts, and perhaps give a sense of the suit."

^^

That doesn't really make sense. How would button down shirts give a sense of the suit? Also, getting a shirt made is very different that bringing a shirt that you bought in a store to use as an example.

3. MANY. You are truly underestimating what you need to know if you want a decent looking/quality suit made.

I would not walk into any tailor in Bangkok(or anywhere in the world) without knowing exactly what you want.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

Thanks for the insight on how to mitigate tailor risk. I suppose an international, small claims dispute would not be worth the "cheap purchase"

Thanks,

-gill

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

My $.02........Get some nice casual linen shirts made. Flap pockets. A few nice colors. Spread collar. Barell cuffs. Etc.

They can usually be turned around in a day or two.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

Understood on all fronts, although it may be difficult to get the 4 or 5 fittings in, so I might just chance it considering that so many other reviewers appear to be satisfied with 2 fittings.

I suppose it may help to be more specific on what I'm looking for. Seems you have experience, I'd be interested in your thoughts. Send me a message of the forum if you want.

JACKET

* Style: 2 buttons suit with a low button stance

* Interior: Half or full canvas interior depending on pricing

* Lapel: notch lapel siting high on the jacket, somewhere between 2.25 and 2.75 inches thick

* Shoulders: Some padding but not too much that it adds considerable heat and weight. Maybe some slight roping.

* Arms and Armholes: Placed high and cut somewhat aggressively in terms of the arm tube width. Perhaps a quarter inch shorter than standard sleeve length.

* Material: Need to do more research but any where between 110-130 but more importantly, I want a good quality textile that will last.

* Color: A medium to dark, ashy charcoal with texture of some kind. Don't want it to look flat.

* 2 Pockets: Slight Hacking

* Rear of Jacket and Length: Short in length, but covers most of the seat. Double vent

* Shape of Waist --> Darting, a slim and modern cut.

PANTS

* Belt loop

* Flat front

* Slightly less than Armani Break

* Width of thigh and crotch should shape leg closely without pull marks sitting down.

* Noticeable taper to bottom.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

You seem to very exact standards. Odds are you won't find it, to any degree of satisfaction, at your price point.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

**so I might just chance it considering that so many other reviewers appear to be satisfied with 2 fittings.**

**Seems you have experience, I'd be interested in your thoughts.**

Honestly...when I am in Bk and have a suit/shirts/sportscoat made, I literally take a list of my "wants" with me to my tailor. I have used and revised this list for several years. And I have used him(the same tailor) for appr 7 years(and am satisfied.)

Even now, I would NEVER consider going with 2 fittings. NEVER!

It is just a bad move.

You need at the MIN of 4-5 additional visits to get what you require after the initial selection of material and getting measured.

It's a bad idea! I can't stress that.

For what it is worth...the people who are satisfied with 2 fittings either don't know what they are doing or walk into a tailor shop and ask to have a suit made and go with whatever the tailor styles, says etc.....without knowing if the garment is of any quality.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in Bk and men are getting suits/shirts made..while wearing flip-flops/sneakers and short sleeved shirts or tee-shirts. (Not at all saying that you have to walk in with a suit on.)

The tailor asks them, how is the pant length....Reply.."Ok." How would one know that w/o proper dress shoes on?

The tailor asks them(if they are just getting shirts made) how is the sleeve length...Reply.."Ok." How would one know that without a jacket on?

Etc.

You sound as if you will be walking into a shop knowing what you want and after doing some research. Don't waste $ by trying to get what you want done in 2 days...just to say that "this suit was custom made for me"

Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

Hi GBZ

Given you have done your homework and know what you want, you are in a better position. There is nothing complex in your specifications.

Getting a quality product from cheap tailors in 2 fittings is problematic.

The difficult part is the jacket, not the trousers.

Having a second fitting in three days will be very possible for a number of quality tailors in Bangkok. Choose one of the better reviewed tailors with a certificate of excellence and around 100 or more reviews by TA members that have done more than 5 review (creditibility check). Email them first and get an early appointment on day 1. Fitting 1 should be easy on day 2. Fitting 2 on day 3 should be very possible at better tailors, especially if they are forewarned.

If you run into problem focus on the jacket and DEMAND that the tailor attend the shop and mark the alterations. Do this on your second fitting on day 3. Do not rely on the shop staff.

You can then get a third and if necessary forth fitting when you come back.

Pm me if you want further advice.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 10:48
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

"If you run into problem focus on the jacket and DEMAND that the tailor attend the shop and mark the alterations. "

I wish I could be there!

London, England
Level Contributor
380 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sartorial Tips for Bangkok Suit Tailors - Value

This is going to end in abject failure, according to probability. A made to measure suit with that specification, made in a couple of days and for less than an "off the rack" suit at JC Penney? No. I can see that the OP will arrive at his final day in BKK and be presented with a disappointing fait accompli just before he has to leave for the airport. You really cannot expect a top quality result for that money. My husband pays from US$75 for one tailor made shirt in Bangkok and it takes a week to be made properly.

It will be interesting to see whether a further post is made after his trip, advising us of the outcome!