We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Thailand

Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in Thailand

I'm an advanced diver, and will be landing in Thailand later today. I would like to hear your opinions on the best parts of Thailand to dive, I was told Phuket, and from what I have read the reviews are good. But Im looking for somewhere a little less commercial ( if that's even possible ) Thanks in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Thailand

You can probably approach Sharkey Diving in Phuket. Check their website once

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Thailand

Ko Tao in the gulf of Thailand is probably the most popular place and cheapest place in Thailand for diving. It is many reefs and popular spots. It is more laid back and not all as commercial as Phuket. Sairee beach is the most popular but there are beautiful beaches all over the island and most of the others are a lot quieter than sairee.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
505 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Thailand

+1 for Koh Tao, plus the gulf should in theory have better weather this time of year.

You'll need to get to either Koh Samui or Surat Thani first and transfer from there (though I remember reading something about a possible transfer from near Pattaya but not 100% sure if it's available)

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Thailand

On Ko Tao: go see New Heaven Dive on the south side of the Island. Close to Bangkok: go see Mermaids in Pattaya. Both are really excellent dive operations!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in Thailand

Actually Matt, is it not quicker to get to ko Tao from chumpon by ferry instead of Surat Thani? Nok air fly to ko Tao. It's probably quicker to fly to Samui and ferry from there but it's a lot more expensive. Or get a train or bus instead of flying but it's a long journey!

Mentioned in this post
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving in Thailand

Sorry nok air do not fly to ko Tao, I meant to say they fly to chumpon and I'm pretty sure the ferry ride from there is quicker than the one from Surat Thani. There is no airport on ko tao

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving in Thailand

Speedboat from Chumoon to Ko Tao, appr. 2 1/2 hours, if memory serves. Whole trip: night bus from near Khao San Rd ( they pick up near some well known monument where everyone waits) to Chumpon. Bus stops a few times along the way for restroom, arrives around daybreak at the pier in Chumpon, from where the speed boat departs later the same morning. The very last stop of the speedboat is Mae Haad Pier on Ko Tao.at least this it is what it used to do. Haven't taken the trip in a while, maybe someone with newer knowledge can shed light on the current route.

8. Re: Diving in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16