We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

low budget,guide please

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
low budget,guide please

friends,

i have searched a lot and found plenty of good info regarding budget travelling Bangkok.

i just need further opinion if we can make it possible ,please don't call it repetition as everyone has his own situations.

we 2 guys,travelling Thailand from 27th sep to 8th oct 2014,(12 days)

Possible itinerary:.

Bangkok(3 nights)

Chiang mai (2/3 nights)

possibly one night in chiang rai or pai (not confirmed yet)otherwise..

back to Bangkok (rest of all days)...day trip to ayuthayya,kanchnapuri or just Bangkok exploring,night markets etc

(No alcohol,beer or tour guides,no beach visit as we have plenty of sun here in our country), backpacking,staying in hostels (maximum 20-25$/2 person twin room with or without a/c),street food or halal food mini restaurants.

we have budget of 1000$ for 12 days (2 guys) ..

can we make it in this budget ??

looking forward for opinions with thanx in advance

wmk

Edited: 25 July 2014, 17:22
Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: low budget,guide please

I don't think it's enough with accommodation food, transport etc, but if you stick to local transport, local food etc then maybe.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: low budget,guide please

Quick question...

Does your budget of $1000 for 2 persons for 12 days include or exclude transport between cities and accommodation???

Some websites you might find useful regarding accommodation options are:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/

http://www.hostelworld.com/

We've used both and have had good experiences with each. HostelWorld does charge a booking fee (in addition to the accommodation cost, though it is minimal), HostelBookers does not (though you pay a 10% deposit which is non-refundable if you cancel).

You can use the reviews here on TripAdvisor along with the reviews on each of these websites to get an idea of the quality of the accommodation.

Two other sites that include a mix of hostel type accommodation and hotels are:

http://www.booking.com/

http://www.agoda.com/

For Booking.com you often don't have to pay until you stay at the hotel (though need a credit card to reserve), and a large number of the options have free cancellation. With Agoda you quite often have to pay in advance, and be aware in many cases if you do cancel Agoda charges a US$15 cancellation fee.

L&S

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: low budget,guide please

It can be done, but your time will be spent "penny-pinching" instead of enjoying this country you have presumably come to explore. Catching a public bus to somewhere like Kanchanaburi from Bangkok costs around 160 Baht from memory but remember you have to pay for the taxi to get you to the bus station.

Eating a meal at a street vendor costs between 50-150 Baht on average but presumably you would want to try some different foods.

A BTS train ticket costs around 50 Baht on average for a single trip.

Entrance fees to some attractions will be the biggest cost as tourists are ripped off in this regard. If you want to join an organised tour, this will cost anywhere between 600-3000 Baht per person on average per person per day.

These are just some rough prices. I've certainly gone with a budget of $1000 for a single person for a similar amount of time, and been able to come home with change left over, but if you expect to cover accommodation expenses out of your budget too, then I would double what you have suggested to make it more realistic.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: low budget,guide please

Thanx Cassnu , Leesree_and_Subbi ,robol

this amount (1000$)includes everything after leaving the airport .thanx for your suggessions and opinions.i will try to increase it to 1200 or 1300$ , i think this sounds better .

what am i thinking, the spending money for one day in Bangkok, i think equal-ate to the money needs to reach chiang mai from Bangkok and same as return so we are counting it like a budget/day .i have deeply searched hostelworld.com and hotels.com and agoda and finally i have decided to stay at some hostel/gueshouse in soi ram bhuttri or samsen road(riverside) or banglumphu .prices for twin room is lower than getting 2 independent beds in dormitory what i found...we are not going to temples more than 2 or 3 .grand palace,emrald is must to see ,otherwise just few temples which are with lower ticket in banglamphu ,china town and east side of chao phrya river and other in ayyuthaya.we will like exploring streets,markets,sites mainly on foot ,orange boat,and some times taxi/mrt/sky train according to need.we are not going to use tuk-tuk as there are hundreds of rickshaws on 1km road here in our country.

thanx to all of you for your suggessions. Cassnu , Leesree_and_Subbi ,robol

regards

wmk

Edited: 26 July 2014, 13:00
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: low budget,guide please

yes, this amount includes everything (transportation,hostels,eating etc)

Paris, France
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: low budget,guide please

You can do it on $1000. You can walk around rambuttri and find 100baht dorm beds or 150baht single rooms. eat street food for every meal 40baht, drink water 2-7baht etc. Grand Palace, Kachanaburi day trip, Chiangmai and basically every place you go to will cost the big bucks. 500-1200 baht. It's best to budget a little more money than you need in case of emergencies though.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: low budget,guide please

Dear ChronicHosteller

I am highly thankful to you for various prices estimate and suggestion.I will keep that in mind.Yes, i will keep some rainy days cash in the debit card (about 500 dollars), obviously try to save that haha,but in case of any trouble.

8. Re: low budget,guide please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18