We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying for hotel accommodation

ema
lancashire
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
paying for hotel accommodation

Our first time to Thailand in January, staying in Bangkok and Phuket. have booked hotel in Bangkok via e mail, still to find hotel in Panong. Just wonder what is the usual way to pay, In thai bhat on arrival, in sterling on arrival or by credit card. The hotel in Bangkok asked for my credit card details but have not actually taken any money but have confirmed my accommodation.

If I use my credit card to settle hotel accommodation will this work out more expensive than paying with cash.

Will appreciate any info.

thanks

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
169 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

Hi , the difference between paying by credit card or cash, is very small. I would pay by credit card as it acts as a payment record. But it's a personal choice. Bring sterling and exchange at the money changers for best rates, cash Withdrawls from ATM machines are expensive. Hope this helps,cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

Hi, I always pay my hotelwith my credit card. That way I keep y cash for spending. Fees are minimal so I dont worry. Like Pat says, exchange your cash for thai baht when you get to thailand and there are plenty of money exchange places around. I just get about 3000 baht from home so when I arive, I can can pay taxis, a meal and not have to stress finding a exchange booth. I use the ATMs occassionally when I have run out of cash.

Viv

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

No problem changing most major currencies at the airport 7 days a week 24 hours a day. The rate you get in Thailand, even at the airport, is better than what you get overseas. But rates do change often. Many posts on currency come up with a forum search. FAQ's on the side can be helpful.

It is easy to pay for CHEAP hotels with cash. But with expensive hotels you might prefer to use a credit card. Millions of young backpackers and thrift travelers pay cash for their cheap hotels. (For some travelers expensive means any room over 1200/1400 baht since a room with A/C and private toilet begins around 600 baht)

If you use a a credit card remember to tell your bank that you will be overseas before leaving on your trip. My advice is to not rely on a single card for all of your money needs. You could lose that card or damage it. (My debit cards have lower fees than my credit cards. But you do have some fraud protection with credit cards.)

Edited: 26 July 2014, 02:17
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

It is a normal and an international way that hotel is asking for your credit card details in advance; this is to guarantee your reservation and if you'll be a no-show, they will charge for one night fee ( let the hotel know your estimated arrival time, specially if you arrive after 6 pm!).

When it's time to settle the bill and you are leaving the hotel, you can then choose if you want to use cash or your credit card.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

You will not be able to pay for your hotels in Thailand with Sterling though :).

I book 90% of my hotels though booking.com, and I normally pay in cash (Baht) upon arrival, unless the hotel has already charged my credit card. I try to use cards as little as possible overseas.

I find that virtually all the hotels in Thailand I've stayed at, charge upon arrival, rather than when I'm checking out, can't think of any hotels actually when I haven't paid upon arrival.

6. Re: paying for hotel accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16