We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Hello!

Just booked a flight to Bangkok for a week. First time solo female visitor. I understand that the curfew has been lifted. So hopefully it means the extra time to and from the airport via taxi won't be needed?

Am considering either the Siam Square or Sukhumvit area for accommodations. I'm interested in street food, culture, walk-ability, not so much drinking or shopping (thought I want to wander around the Chatuchak market). Would you recommend one area over the other?

How does the city feel currently? Is there a lot of tension in the air or is it business as usual? Is either area commonly used as a gathering place for demonstrations?

Thanks so much!

England
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

I got back 2 days ago and there are no problems at all, you wouldn't know there was any issues if you hadnt heard about them beforehard. Its business as usual and has the same feel around the same as every other visit ive been on.

If you're not interested in shopping then may I suggest you stay near the river. Not sure of your budget but we stayed at the Anantara Riverside and loved it. Wss really nice to escape the hustle and bustle of the city there.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Siam is great for street food. Pathuwan Princess ideal location near skytrain.

River hotels look good at night but you would be moving more.

Chatuchak visit from skytrain.

Pullman King Power also good near street food plus saxophone pub is good for live music. Victory skytrain right there.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

At this point in time, "tension" is not allowed; "Happiness" is mandatory. Anyone breaking the rules will be brought into attitude adjustment camp.

A good value, with great access, might be Center Pointe Silom. It is located next to both the Saphan Taksin BTS station, and the Sathorn "Central" express boat pier. The BTS will get you to "downtown" and Chatuchak. The express boats will get you to places like the Grand Palace, Chinatown, Khaosan Road, and other areas. You can also catch Asiatique's shuttle boat for and evening there.

There is plenty of street food everywhere in Thailand.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

More relaxed chilled out feel in the Riverside area, like #1 and #3 say, find a hotel by the river and not too far from Saphan Taksin pier and the BTS

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Thank you all for the great advice! Very much appreciate the valuable insights.

Have decided to stay by the riverside. Looking forward to my visit!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Was there in July, didn't see anything that would worry me, everything was normal and friendly. Stayed at both Siam area and Riverside, liked both but preferred Siam for convenience.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

Convenience? OP stated that we're " .. not so much drinking or shopping"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

The only tiny tiny worry I have about the river side area is risk of flooding as I will be visiting in early Sept (Been looking at the tourist flood/elevation map by Richard Barrow.) Other than that, I have rain gear and will buy rubber boots if necessary!

Edited: 07 August 2014, 13:10
9. Re: Current Atmosphere Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:16