We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Southeast Asian

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Southeast Asian

Hello,

Planning my vacation for next year and I came for some advise from fellow travelers. I am planning to go to southeast Asia, but still haven't decided on the places. So I was wondering. With 1 month would you recommend only doing 1 country like Thailand for the entire time? or best of say 3 or 4 countries (maybe Vietnam, Thailand, Myamar and and Cambidia)

My interests are very broad but mainly history, culture, food and a couple of days of beach at most.

My budget would be around 10k for the entire trip for me in my wife. We are in our early 30s.

Also, how soon would you recommend of buying tickets. We are planning to go by the end of May 2015.

Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Depends.

Thailand is a big place and you could easily spend a month there and not see nearly everything.

Lots of travellers like Laos and Cambodia in this area as well.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Thanks Endee89. That's exactly what i wondered. I know you could spend the entire month in Thailand and more, but do you think some places are skippable in favor of visiting say Laos or Cambodia if you have a month?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Really a month can go pretty quick .One suggestion would be to do about three weeks in Thailand and maybe shoot across to Siem reap Cambodia for about five days to explore Angkor wat .Cheap return airfares on air asia from Bangkok . Laos is lovely but it involves a lot of travelling by road which can take up a fair bit of your time or some rather expensive internal flights

hope this helps a bit

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
790 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

We did 3 weeks in Vietnam followed by a week in Cambodia in April 2013. We covered the basics of several areas in Vietnam but could easily go back again to explore more. Have also done a month just in Thailand in October 2012 and February this year. Whatever you decide, don't try and cram too much in, eg don't expect to visit 4 countries as you will spend a good chunk of your time getting from A to B.

With your interests, it sounds like you would enjoy the temples at Siem Reap, as well as a few days in Phnom Penh, then fly to Bangkok and spend the remainder of your time there.

I would start to keep an eye out for flights from now, always good to book when some of the airlines have a sale.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Thanks so much!

I think I like the idea of doing 3 weeks in Thailand and going to Cambodia for a week.

I did Mexico this year alone for a month. Last year I did France and Italy. I loved the fact of focusing on a specific place and not rushing through it and giving me the change to explore another one next time.

Do you think 10k is enough for a month for 2 people?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

10k if just for spending is well and truly enough

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Yep, that's including the plane tickets though.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

30 days at $100 = $3000. Easy. Can stay nice rooms for $30 to $60.

So you have $7000 for airfares.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

awesome thank you!

Some people recommend going to Vietnam and Cambodia, and stopping in Bangkok for a couple of days instead of Thailand for a month. I know it can be personal preference, but what do you guys think for a first time trip. 3 weeks in Thailand and one in Cambodia, or 3 weeks in Vietnam 5 days in Cambodia and 5 days in Bangkok?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Southeast Asian

Thailand easy. No visa. Nicer people. More fun.