We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Hi,

I'm looking to get some up to date info regards booking the overnight train from Bkk to Chiang Mai please.

I'll be there in December and would like to book in advance if poss so I won't be disappointed, as it's high season. Can anyone recommend a website that takes advance bookings please?

I've tried thailandtrainticket.com but it seems to say you can only book up to 60 days prior, if I'm reading it right. And not clear on ticket pick up arrangements. Anyone with previous experience who can help?

Grateful as always, Roz

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,198 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

This agency is proving to be one of the most reliable at the moment:

www.royalexclusive.com/

Any agency can only book up to 60 days prior as that's when tickets go on sale for 'long' journeys. Agencies can usually send tickets to your home country, your hotel in Bangkok or can be picked up.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

The train ride is an "experience"! It has gone off tracks on several occasions. Robberies are a problem as are several other crimes. Be careful ...be safe!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Last time I booked train tickets from the UK I had them waiting for me at my Hotel in Bangkok when I arrived and it all worked fine.

To be on the safe side it is probably a good idea to send an e mail to the hotel to let them know you are expecting mail and will collect on arrival.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

We booked in Australia and had tickets delivered to our hotel in Bangkok. Took second class sleeper cabins April 2014. My children (5 & 8), wife and I loved the trip. No issues security wise and I believe a lot of work was done late 2013 to help with the derailments. Highly recommend doing this trip at least once.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Thank everyone for the advice (and sorry this is such a delayed response, am planning a really big trip and got side tracked for a few weeks). All really helpful and gives me confidence I can book beforehand

Regards, Roz

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

The SRT only has a 60 day in advance booking period whether you purchase the ticket from them directly or via na agent as suggested above. The fares are listed on their website for comparative purposes with what ever an agent quotes you. 2nd class aircon sleeper is fine and many prefer the bottom bunk.

Try to avoid the weekend following 5 Dec as this is a major holiday period (fathers day) and all trains will be booked in advance. Xmas is not an issue but NYs is.

Do note that trains often arrive later than scheduled.

The trains are safe. Derailments do occur occasionally on some lines (due to the age of the track) but at very slow speeds so it is rarely major. The whole of the northern line was shut down late last year for nearly 2 months whilst the track wasupgraded, it is much better now.

Crime wise, thefts are rare a couple of recent high publicity incidents have resulted in the allocation of extra railway police on all trains so it is probably safer to travel now than in the past.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Hi

Just want to add. Since from beginning of August the train now have ladies and children only car/compartment. All the staffs are femal. Male children can travel in this car but must be under 120cm high.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

^ we'll have to wait and see if there is sufficient demand for female only cars, It may not last until Dec.

The SRT last introduced female only cars in 2000 and it only lasted 2 months due to insufficient demand as pax didn't like the separation. Of course things have changed since then and the recent case will ensure demand for a few months a least.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
569 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

thanks sweetpea - 120cm isn't very tall for us westerners. I was reading your post thinking that would be awesome for my friend and i who are travelling with our children next year 9yrs - 13yrs - but pretty sure even the 9yr old would be close to 120cm :-(

Failbus which 2nd class train did you take? i note on the man in seat 61 there are 2 types the japanese compartment type or the fold our seat type? any other tips?

sorry for butting in Roz :-)

thanks

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
773 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

How Seat61 points out, the compartments Japanese-type regard the first class sleepers (in locked cabins), not the second class ones, which as a means of privacy only have a curtain for each berth.

Recently I experienced the night train "13" [Bangkok]-Ayutthaya-Chiang Mai, in second-class berths, and everything has worked well, as regards both the online purchase of tickets (for seven people) by "royalexclusive", both the delivery at our Bangkok hotel, both the comfort and safety of the travel.

Beware: ask the a / c cars (there are also those with only fans).

Only problem: the arrival in Chiang Mai three hours later (1pm instead of 10 am).

The track was renovated last winter from Uttaradit to Chiang Mai (with closure of this strecht for two months); but the locomotives are outdated, and I understand this was one of the causes of our delay. The Council of military government has recently approved plans for rolling stock improvement from this point of view, but the effects will only be visible in the future.

Brun066