We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
"Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

I know my very question is an oxymoron - nobody really wants a destination with nothing to do, but I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip including BKK and Vietnam, and this is another good resource. I have searched the forum but man, this search really stinks, and the results are really hard to parse, so I figured I'd just ask and hope to get some good suggestions.

So right now, our plan is to fly from BKK to HCMC and then to Phu Quoc in Vietnam for the quiet, do-little long beach weekend we are hoping for, but that two flight trip is less than ideal. Is there a place near BK which would be similar, but easier to get to? Our trip to Phu Quoc will take about 8 hours total so a whole day is lost there, but hopefully for something nice. We are not looking for a party, or luxury, but a quiet bungalo on the beach with locals and good seafood restaurants and a decent neighborhood. A flight would be fine as long as it was a direct flight, or a 2-3 hour bus or boat trip.

Thanks for any leads, and please be gentle! :)

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Prachuap Khiri Khan. Google Ao Manao. Seriously this town has the best seafood in Thailand and cheap too.

Can catch a train or bus there. Hardly any foreigners and nice atmosphere.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Hi,

I agree with the above post, Prachuap Khiri Kan. The seafood is some of the best I have ever eaten. You could stay at the guest house on the link below, it is spotlessly clean and some rooms overlook the sea:

http://sunbeach-guesthouse.com/index.html

However, it is more than 2 or 3 hours away from Bangkok. Train 43 leaves Bangkok at 08.05 and is scheduled to arrive in Prachuap at 12.30.

Thung Chang...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Koh Si Chang, a small island south est of Bangkok, in Sriracha district, Chonburi province.

The pier for the island is near the Samitivej Sriracha Hospital, and is less than 100 km. from Bangkok.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

I've just been to Ban Kruat, a mainland beach resort in the province of Prachuat Kiri Khan. A perfect relaxed beach vacation with very few other foreigners and lots of local colour, but it's 5 hours by train from Bangkok.

The island Koh Samet may fill the bill. It's easy to get to -- only 2.5 - 3 hours from Bangkok by bus or van, lots of bungalow accommodation and quite quiet during the week. On weekends it's popular with Thai trippers though. Vong Duan Bay (several different spellings) is beautiful and away from the packed-full main village. The north side of the island has several more-upscale resorts that are very quiet and secluded.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Sorry, Ban KRUT not Kruat.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

This is what I love about Trip Advisor... you ask one simple question and get great results! Good luck with your planning. You might want to google the place names given, just to see what they look like... I also vote for Prachuap Kiri Khan.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 16:40
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Hi,

I agree with you Skeezix. I also agree with Bill that Koh Samet is a good choice but Prachuap Khiri Khan would be my choice for the cheaper, excellent seafood.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Based on Bill2p's and others recommendations we will be staying over for a few days in Ban Krut on our drive down to Khao Lak in November. Last year I followed Andy's advice for PKK and for the excellent Sun Beach guest house. The seafood there was superb and cheap as was the beer! We also enjoyed our day on the unique Ao Mano Beach which is contained within and accessed through Wing 5 of the Thai Royal Air Force Base and as I understand it all the attractions within that area which include sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach for hire with restaurants serving them just set back a bit are controlled by the Thai Royal Air Force. It will be interesting when we are in Ban Krut and pay a visit back up to PKK and Ao Mano to see whether these have been removed as ordered by the NCPO as has happened already in some places, notably Phuket, and to be followed elsewhere throughout Thailand - or will they? ;-)

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! These are great jumping off points! Off to research!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Secluded" cheap beach near Bangkok

" cheap" is not easy to find but i think "secluded" is even harder, especially within a few hours from Bangkok.