We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Hi Heading to Thailand April 2015 and looking to purchase the Nancy Chandler maps of Chiang Mai and Bangkok as i have read a lot of positive feedback on TA :-)

Just wondering if anyone knows how often the maps are updated? i note the latest Chiang Mai edition is 2014 and Bangkok 2012. Any ideas if the Bangkok one will be updated any time soon or should i just get the current edition? Wanted to buy them now to give a better idea for planning....

Thank you everyone, all assistance much appreciated :-)

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Free maps in airports and hotels are better.

GT rider maps are better for country areas

www.gt-rider.com/maps-of-thailand-laos-maps

Nancy's maps are like crayon drawings.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

agree, maybe something special years ago, but more informative ones right in front of your keyboard, tablet, phone, and free print maps all about.

Level Contributor
48 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Have to agree I don't think the Nancy Chandlet maps are all that great. Some interesting stuff on there but not a great deal of detail. They seem to be missing a lot and have only the major roads included. Have to admit was a bit dissappointed when I got mine last weekend. Not sure they are worth the cost but I may be proven wrong when I come to use them.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
551 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

i offer the other side - i spent 2 weeks in Bangkok last month and the nancy chandler map was a life saver at times,it is so spot on and would highly recommend it.They may be better ones out there but i loved this map.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Hi,

I also disagree to a point. Have had 6 trips to Thailand using free and google maps, and whilst they are good and I still used them, I did like the Nancy Chandler map for Chiang Mai. There were many things on the map that I was unaware of and had overlooked in previous visits, but enjoyed checking them out this visit.

Not sure it's worth the cost, as I thought it was expensive for a map, however, I know we got our money's worth.

My advice is to use both, NC and the ones you can pick up as freebies. I'm sure everyone will have an opinion...

Safe travels.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

You can buy 2nd hand guidebooks for $5. More useful.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

I've used Nancy Chandler maps on each BKK trip over the past 10+years and love them, I have always found them much better than free (sponsored) ones or downloadable ones.

I have to say I have never used them to navigate the streets but for a research facility prior to setting out on the mornings.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

Agree with you. Great reference especially when exploring on foot.

Wish I had bought it earlier.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

They are one of my favorite things. They come with a small guide book that gives map references to make it easier to find things. There are also drawings of the various river boats etc - that make it so much easier to know which one to get on to get where.

Each of the maps is updated every two years.

The new Chiang Mai map just came out about four or five months ago. The next will be the Bankgok map.

There is a lot of work for a small staff updating them - to help in the interim they have a section called 'Chiang Mai Updates and Bangkok Updates' on their web page, with new places and places that have changed. This is well worth a look for new information before you go.

We actually went into their office in Bangkok and bought a flat copy of the Bangkok map to frame some years ago. It looks brilliant.

Caroline.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 10:27
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nancy Chandler Map Updates?

ps. the enlarged sections of the various market areas are also brilliant. The freebie maps don't have the restaurants, coffee shops, bars etc marked on the map directly. This is what we find really helpful. You can look and see what is nearby at any given point as you are walking around.

C.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 10:31