We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Hey everyone, kindly recommend which is the best hotel for staying in Bangkok for 4-6 nights?

I'm looking at the Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La and Tower Club at Lebua.... Please suggest or recommend.

Kindly highlight some of the prominent advantages? Such as complimentary mini-bar (replenished everyday or so)....

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Anyone who can suggest?

*bump*

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Krungthep Wing at the Shang is excellent, they have a great pre-dinner canapé buffer with free flow drinks. Excellent service and balconies in all rooms with a great view of the river. Can highly recommend.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

shangri-la

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,613 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Read the reviews...

I doubt you will hear from anyone who has stayed at all 3 to compare.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g293916-Bangkok-Hot…

Edited: 22 August 2014, 10:01
Thailand
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Stayed at all four albeit Shangri-La was some years ago. I'd say the Pen is my fav though but only because i've been fortunate with upgrades. The Oriental though is absolutely perfect in every way so if money was not an issue I'd go with the Oriental every time. Lebua is a difficult one for me because there are pluses & minuses, all suites are really large, room maids will normally unlock balcony door(sign a disclaimer) and room rates are much lower than the other three. The minuses in my opinion are housekeeping can be woeful at times, and fixtures & fittings are really not on a par with the others.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
577 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

The Mandarin is best for service, accommodations, etc, and if you like old world ambience. The Peninsula is almost as good, and is a modern hotel. The Shangri-La is more resort like and not as deluxe as the first two. The Shangri-La gives a more casual feel.. These 3 hotels are located along the river..

Can't say anything about Lebua.. Never stayed, nor visited.. I believe the Lebua Hotel is several blocks from the river..

Bend Oregon
Level Contributor
374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Peninsula, love, love the service and the breakfast, fabulous!

I have also stayed at Lebua, little harder to get around, didn't like not be able to open sliding door, breakfast

one of the best...but Lebua not on river, just close...

Edited: 23 August 2014, 16:16
Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
984 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

darlaf, havana_10, I have read repeatedly not to have a hotel get a taxi for you. Is this also true at the Peninsula?

Thanks.

Thailand
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

RetiredFloridian - most hotels in Bangkok have taxi's that congregate as near to the hotel entrance as possible just waiting to harangue guests as they emerge from the hotel so yes it's ok to ask the concierge / bellhop to call you a cab but do remember to tell them that you ONLY require a cab that has agreed to use the meter otherwise the hotel employee may just approach one of the previously mentioned taxi's that are sitting outside - the ones that only want fixed rate. Also remember that some hotel employee'sl work in cahoots with the above mentioned 'resident taxis' earning a small kickback for themselves. The Peninsular has a longish drive down to the main road so unusually for Bangkok there are no taxis near the hotel building but the concierge or bellhop will if asked use a walkie talkie to call one of the 24hr security guards located on the main road who will flag a passing taxi down and direct them up to you at reception.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Peninsula vs Mandarin Oriental vs Shangri-La or Lebua?

Thank you 'stephfennell', 'dudscosta', 'DodgerIrishinLondon', 'havana_10', 'Slowruner', 'darlaf'!

Thanks a million for your invaluable opinions and suggestions!

@stephfennell,dudscosta, Slowruner:

I just learnt that guests at Shangri-La's Krungthep Wing enjoy fruit juice, soft drinks, tea or coffee at the lounge or by the pool, throughout the day, is it true? I mean, one can have unlimited number of drinks a day?

I'd like to know if the guests at Krungthep Wing are allowed to use the Horizon Club and its full services?

@Havana_10, Darlaf: Peninsula looks incredible in their services! I'm leaning towards them, but the only thing that's more tempting in Shangri-La is that there's actually a club floor, whereas at Peninsula, there isn't any. Club floors are expensive, yet they bring best value at times, by making you save on drinks and sometimes, meals!

Regarding the taxis, can one not use Pen's own fleet? How do they charge? Is it a good/fair value (not necessarily a bargain, but value)?

Can you please comment on their complimentary boat service? How useful is it to cover some of the destinations? Do they also have dinner cruise?

Btw, I'm a young man and will be a travelling alone, any suggestions in that regard will be useful!