We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend tourist train

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Weekend tourist train

We are keen to take the weekend tourist train out Kanchanaburi. I'm hoping to buy the tickets only 3-4 days before departure 21/7/14, is that enough time? I also see people mentioning sit on the left side, the YouTube clip of the viaduct I saw the river was on the right. Going by the itinerary there is almost a 3 hour stop at the waterfall, is there enough to do there to not get bored? any shops or restaurants. Can anyone that has done this trip share there experience?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend tourist train

Hi,

You may be lucky enough to get tickets 3 or 4 days beforehand. I guess you are talking about the end of the rail line. If so, there are places to eat and you will also have enough time to visit the Hellfire Pass museum which is about 20 kms away.

Sit on the left side of the train on the outward journey. The river is also on your left when crossing the viaduct.

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend tourist train

If no seats left when I go to book I suppose I will look at other train options. We have been to the bridge and hellfire pass before. We did it in a van with driver.

This time we would like to do it by train. The weekend train looks ideal with its stops at attractions along the way. Left hand side sounds like it will be popular.

If there is time, another trip to hellfire pass could be an option. It was a highlight of our last trip.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend tourist train

Hi,

You could get your tickets online beforehand and have them delivered to your hotel.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 10:44
Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend tourist train

I did read in another post of someone booking online. But have also read tickets are not available online. I just thought it would be easier to book in person. But yes on the other hand I'm not guaranteed a seat by waiting till I get to Bangkok.

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend tourist train

Is it possible to purchase tickets online?

Edited: 27 August 2014, 11:48
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend tourist train

Hi,

Yes, someone on the Forum did a year or two back. I believe they used www.thailandtrainticket.com

The Home Phutoey Resort has a WW 2 museum in it's grounds dedicated to Weary Dunlop. Provided you contact the resort beforehand you could visit it. The resort is a short journey away from where the weekend train stops.

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend tourist train

Thanks for suggestions. Still keen to hear others experience on the weekend train.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend tourist train

Hi,

If you haven't done so already read the link below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297924-i10380-k67…

Also, contact the company I mentioned above and Royal Exclusive for advance tickets.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 13:06
Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend tourist train

Thanks AjarnAndy. I've emailed both those companies, will report back my outcome. Also that link AjarnAndy seems to be incorrect (copy and pasting on my iPad).

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend tourist train

Here I relate on our experience with the weekend train Bangkok - Nam Tok and back (July 19, 2014), seven people.

Bought the ticket (round trip) at the Hualamphong station the day before. Only few remaining places, the most uncomfortable (book some days before, if you can)..

The train leaves at 6:30 am, they tell you to be present at 6:00, but it's not really necessary, as you have your booked seat

No a/c, but the hot temperature isn't a real problem, because the open windows.

Departure on time. Stop for 40 minutes at Nakhon Pathom, just enough time to walk to the imposing "Chedi", visit it and come back.

Pleasant stop (30 minutes) at the bridge on the River Kwai, just after Kanchanaburi. Then, slow passage on the impressive Bampo Viaduct.

At Nam Tok station (one hour behind schedule), after the stop, the train backs up, to take a run up the steep strecht that leads to Nam Tok Sai Yok Noi (waterfalls), its final destination.

At this terminus, a van waiting for us (booked and pre-paid; we were a bit anxious about it!), by the company "Good times travel" in Kanchanaburi (valuable suggestion by AjarnAndy: thank you!), leads us to the Hellfire Pass Museum. We visit the Museum, then walk on the path of abandoned railroad, up to the trench of the Hellfire Pass itself: there we ate our packed lunch. Given the limited time available, we could not go any further on the path: in any case the experience is moving.

On the return, the van (waiting for us at the Museum) takes us, rather than to Nam Tok, to Kanchanaburi, in time to catch our train (which departs from this station at 4:53 pm).

On, the travelers of our coach were all Thai except us. We are greeted with curiosity and sympathy.

We got off the train in Bang Sue station instead of Hualamphong, in order to catch the MRT (metro) to our hotel.

Overall, a pleasant, memorable day.

Hope this helps

Brun066