We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souh East Asia Itinerary

OTT
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Souh East Asia Itinerary

Hello!

I am planning a 3 week - month long trip to South East Asia this upcoming January. I know that th January is considered their tourist season/busy season and as a result was wondering if it is advised to plan my entire trip and book accommodations well in advance before I leave. I would prefer to have a rough itinerary and make the majority of decisions once I arrive as it allows more flexibility however I'm not sure if this is the best approach. If anyone has some advice and experiences I would be very appreciative :)

X2 River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours, Private Tours
Bangkok My City
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

Can you narrow down the "SE asia" to some specific countries please. Obviously, thailand is one.....

Also, in most countries apart from the bust Xmas to NYs super peak it is often easy to book accommodation as you travel. Not in all places but most. It pays to have a rough framework and places you want to visit but have some flexibility, as you state. That is a good approach.

Again, state which countries and what you are seeking to do and you'll elicit some good advice.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

lol busy Xmas to NYs, NOT bust!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

If you're not too fussy about accommodation then it shouldn't be a problem as there will always be something available, but the main areas like Phuket, Samui, Phangan etc will be very busy and you may not always get your first choices. You should think about booking any internal flights early though as prices will skyrocket closer to the time of travel. You can use trains and buses too and these may be easier to stay flexible with, especially for a single person.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

With 3 weeks, I'd concentrate your time in Thailand only. If you stretch for a month, you can explore more of Thailand or consider a combination of Thailand/Cambodia (to see Angkor Wat) or similar combination with Malaysia (possibly incl. Singapore).

Mentioned in this post
Wylie, Texas...
Level Contributor
63 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

1 week in Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket)

3 days in Cambodia (Angkor Watt, Siem Reap)

4 days in Philippines (Boracay & Cebu) then fly from either both to KL

4 days in Malaysia (KL, Melaca/Cameron Highlands)

3 days in SG (side trip to Batam Indonesia)

6 countries in 4 weeks

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Batam
Batam
Riau Archipelago, Indonesia
6. Re: Souh East Asia Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16