We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Cyprus
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

how many days is a must to see all three of these gorgeous places?

any other counties/islands nearby we should consider?

we were thinking to make it a two week trip (maybe approximately 5 days each).

when is the best time to visit?

any insight is much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

5 days is too short for these areas. Pick 1 country.

For honeymoon I would suggest Koh Chang/Ko Kood for quieter getaway. Or Ko Mook and Ko Ngai.

For more action Ko Samui.

Krabi for something in the middle.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Well 14/15 days isnt enough. You would also lose time is travelling betweeen destinations.

I would pick just one country.

Wow, you really need to start doing some research.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Agree with above. Definitely 1 country, and of all your choices, Bali would be the last country I'd recommend. So if really want to do 2 countries, then Thailand & Malaysia would be my picks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
958 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Bali is quite far from Malaysia and Thailand - about 6 hour flight and also they have quite different weather patterns.

If you are planning to travel during UK 'summertime' then Bali is a better option weatherwise but if you can travel from Nov-March I would strongly recommend just Thailand and go to Bangkok for 4 or 5 days spectacular sightseeing and then hit the beaches in the south. You could also add Chiang Mai in to get the full Thailand experience though we haven't been there yet ourselves to recommend.

Probably a good starting point is to decide where in these countries you want to go then prioritise and if necessary reduce your choice!

We have done Bangkok and Bali combo 3 times - usually around July time which is generally good weather in Bali but rainy season in Bangkok/Thailand (not terrible but I wouldn't chose that time of year for sunbathing/beach). We usually do Bangkok as a 4 day stopover en route and one or nights on way home with around 7-10 nights in Bali.

However this year we went to Koh Yao Noi and Ko Lanta - our first time to the south/Thai islands and they far exceeded Bali!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Post #4 is not correct about the Thai weather.

Thailand is a large country with different weather patterns.

The UK summer is the rainy season on the West (Andaman) coast but the dry season on the East (Gulf) coast.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

As mentioned above you could easily do the 2 weeks in just 1 country, especially Thailand or Malaysia and still barely scratch the surface.

That being said if you are determined to do more than just 1, you could look at a route of flying into Bangkok, doing X days there, then south to one of islands (west coast or gulf islands depending on the time of year) for X days then south again to KL / Malaysia for X days before flying back home.

That way you are avoiding doubling back and are taking direct point to point flights.

Personally I'd skip Bali, it's a long flight to and from and not going to be worth it for a few days.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 20:19
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Agree with everyone above.

Choose 1 country as I feel you are losing too much time and money on airfares and travelling.

I personally would never return to Bali. Thailand is by far a better tourist destination.

You won't see everything in Thailand in your 2 weeks, but you will have fun doing it.

Good luck, but you need to do research. Check out the information available here and be prepared to do a lot of your own research.

Cheers

Cyprus
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. How long would you suggest we would have to stay to see it all in Thailand? May i mention that we do not intend to lazy around on the beaches all day, we love to sight-see and are more of the adventurous type. (interaction with animals etc).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,518 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

"How long would you suggest we would have to stay to see it all in Thailand?" - that really is an impossible to answer question as to see it all, which I'm sure, is not what you really mean, would take a lifetime. Mrs.A and I have been going to Thailand since the early 1990's for 3 weeks at a time before we retired and now for 5 months every year since both retiring and there are too many places left to visit than we will be probably able to see. The real question you should answer is how much time and money you can afford to cover what you think are are your Must Do's and Must See's. As suggested some more research will help you decide which areas fit into your preferences. In my view a 3 week holiday in Thailand, Bangkok, the North and the South, would provide you with a never to forget honeymoon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a combination of thaliand-malaysia-bali for a honeymoon?

God no way 2 weeks will give u 9 days with travel time.I would say do one or the other.

I would go to Bali stay ay the Seminyak Beach Resort and Spa.Great location on the beach, great food

And wonderful hotel. Do that for 4 days then hire a driver and go to Ubud do the rest of the time in Ubud

Drivers r cheep for all day trips.

What activities r u looking for? Beach only? Temples? Shopping?

Edited: 01 September 2014, 19:01