We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

1 post
Save Topic
Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

Just travelled with my wife through Bangkok using the Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport. Prior to our trip. we got warned by friends to be careful when procuring duty free items such as cosmetics, etc. The warning outlined that it seen to be common that they surf you very fast, add or even forget items you did not or did like to purchase. The stories we were told went as far as some visitors got arrested at the airport because they did not declare an item to the cashier at the time they realized, that the item wasn't added to the bill but packed with the other goods after payment. Obviously, you would think that this is a simple mistake by the cashier, but we learned, that this seems to be practice. It seems also common, that they charge you twice for a single item, due to the fact that some people just pay without checking their invoice.

As we did hear stories more than once, we were especially careful. Of course we went through the shops to kill our waiting time between checking-in and actual departure. My wife decided to purchase some cosmetical products which she cannot get in Europe and so we went through the purchasing process. We were amazed how good we got served, how quick and straight forward.

As we were standing at the cashier, we were verifying the invoice which was handed over to us with the respective goods, we were astonished, the most expensive facial cream was added twice and the smallest item a lip palm wasn't even added, also the discount voucher which we should automatically get wasn't added to the invoice.

We were paying 2000 bath more than the actual invoice should have been while not paying for a 300 bath worth lip balm.

We called the cashier, showed him the issue and the whole procurement process started from scratch. At the end we paid for what we got but we can confirm what is rumored around.

I was wondering why this happens and what the purpose maybe of it, I can just suggest that the airport responsibles should have an eye on this and look behind the scene and figure out what motivates duty free sales ladies to cheat or trouble foreign tourist with such unnecessary actions.

Neither is it helping the airport to attract tourists to buy things nor is it any benefit to the Thai image which is already stressed enough with the long lasting political instability.

Best to you all and take good care. D

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

I never buy duty free. Always seems so expensive.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

"cosmetical items you cannot buy in Europe"

This statement shows this is a troll post.

Wonder what one cannot buy in Europe? Many Thai brands are available in Europe.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

And, as far as I can remember, there are no Thai brands on sale at King Power.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

The OP joined TA in May 2010, & waited 4 years, 3 months before making their 1st post, about being overcharged at an airport buying ladies cosmetics ??.

Most people ask questions that have been asked dozens of times before :)

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

Bought many many times at King Power DF in suvarnabhumi and previously at Don Muang before the new opened and never once had this issue at all, been through there probably a dozen or more times in the past 5yrs and never even heard of this issue before ... Very curious indeed

Edited: 30 August 2014, 20:18
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

I bought some stuffs at King Power Downtown Complex and pick up my stuffs at Don Muang Airport after immigration...they charge me what i buy.

Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

But why would the OP do that if there weren't such a thing? Makes no sense indeed

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

I've just purchased several items there on Tuesday night without any problems.

9. Re: Watch out! Duty free purchase @ Bangkok Int. Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2015, 05:15