We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR _ part 1

Level Contributor
1,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
JBR _ part 1

Been back nearly 2 weeks after 3 weeks in Thailand so thought I had better sit down and start the JBR's.

This trip was our 7th trip and I travelled with my sister and my 2 boys aged 9 and 14. We started off at Bangkok, travelled up to Chiang Mai then down to Phuket then back to Bangkok for our last 10 days.

Trip began with a 3 hour drive to Melbourne...Left at 7am so we had plenty of time to catch our 2pm flight.

We usually travel in July and wait for Jetstar flights to come on special during the year. This year we managed $500 return flights so we were happy with that. Flight over wasn't too bad but it was a long day and we ended up in Bangkok at about 840pm their time.

As soon as we got through immigration and made our way outside of airport it felt like we had arrived home. And I always look up and am impressed by the outside structure of the airport. And the heat...wow loved it we just left Australia mid winter and it was bloody cold...

Taxi cost us 700bht for larger taxi (need 1 for all our bags) to Pratunum. Not much traffic out so we got to the hotel by 9.30.

We stayed at the Baiyoke Suite hotel like we do every year. Great budget hotel, could do with a little work mainly in their bathrooms but I love the fact that you get a loungeroom which has a couch, armchair, table and chairs and room to spread out and relax. Think the room cost us around 1500bht a night but I know we got a better deal for the later part of our stay.

Once we got our bags into our room, off we went downstairs to stock up at the 7/11. Not a late night as we had been on the go for over 17 hours but we had finally arrived!!!

Woke up excited that holiday had begun. Had to sort out phone cards so headed off to AIS in Central world. Got unlimited net for a month and some call credit for roughly 1000bht which we were happy with. Usually I get an internet card for my PC and for my sisters IPAD but my son informed me that we could use the personal hotspot on the phone to use these so once again we have discovered another way to cut down costs.

We also cut down on using credit to message/ring home and had set up facebook messenger with those we wanted to keep into contact with and by using the unlimited internet on the phone we could do this for nothing..... meant $$$$ more money to spend on hols lol!!!

Since we were only here for 2 days we went to BTS and put credit on our saver/rabbit passes. Think it was 405bht for 15 trips per adult and 315bht for kids. Not much of a saving in paying for each trip but it saves waiting in line to purchase tickets each time we used the BTS.

Walked up to Victory monument market to see what they had on offer this year and to make note of prices....it sure seems to have got a bit bigger than last year. From here we caught the BTS to Patpong (though this market it expensive compared to others and we rarely buy anything) but the atmosphere is great and we always drop in to the COOL CORNER restauarant to have a bite to eat. Meals and drinks for 4 of us 1100bht.

Stopped at the Big C on way home and grabbed a bottle of Vodka for 240bht to make the journey to our next stops.....can't believe it is so cheap!!!

Today we are flying up to Chiang Mai. Had a lunchtime flight with Air Asia...cost 700bht for taxi to Don Muang Airport but this was through the hotel as its too hard to get one to take all our luggage and put meter on ... Can't wait to get back to Bangkok...a city you either love or hate!!!

Next JBR will be in Chiang Mai

Ganesha Shrine
Sacred & Religious Sites, Monuments & Statues
Trimurti Shrine
Sacred & Religious Sites, Monuments & Statues
Victory Monument
Monuments & Statues
Democracy Monument
Monuments & Statues
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR _ part 1

Thanks, was a good read :)

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR _ part 1

Thanks for taking the time to post your Report AussieKarin.

It’s always nice to read about the things that the cook and I are familiar with.

We love those BTS Rabbit Passes; they’re so much easier than fumbling around for change or lining up in peak hour. Victory Monument is one of our favourite haunts; the cook loves the shopping around this area.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to your Chiang Mai JBR as much as I’ve enjoyed reading this one.

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR _ part 1

Good read, AussieKarin, and good details about costs for various things. Beginning the count down soon to our next trip, which will include a couple of nights in Bangkok. I know you said you either love or hate B'kok - and I think this is mostly true. but it's also possible for the city to grow on youo - it is with us, and I can't wait to be sitting on the deck over the Chao Phraya, sipping a Singha!

Looking forward to the Chiang Mai instalment..

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR _ part 1

Unlimited net is handy. Hotspot is good. Very useful for planning your next move on a pad or laptop.

I agree Bkk does grow on you.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR _ part 1

700 baht for the taxi is a little too much i think. But you may have used bigger taxi... It cost me 125 baht from victory monument to Don moeing Airport in the regular metered taxi. Anyway i ended up giving him 200 baht because i like thai people and what was i going to do with baht in my country :D

Edited: 04 September 2014, 06:40
Level Contributor
39,647 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR _ part 1

Nice report Karin, I'm looking forward to reading about your Chiang Mai adventures, thanks for sharing.

Level Contributor
1,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR _ part 1

Thanks guys, this year I decided (like I do every year but don't) to write down how much/what I spend money on each day....this gives me an idea of where money went and also is handy to give you guys an idea of what stuff costs....

Did lots on our return to Bangkok so keep an eye out for that one but off to do Chiang Mai one now

8. Re: JBR _ part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16