We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sukhumvit area hotels

auckland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Sukhumvit area hotels

Hello, we have a one night stop in Bangkok in November as the start of our thailand honeymoom. Our flight arrives at 9.30 pm and we leave at midday the next day. I believe the Sukhumvit area would be the best to stay in terms of airport vicinity, but i am hoping we can get some advice on a good 4- 5 star hotel in the area that would be close to shopping etc for the brief amount of time we have. I have looked at the Sofitel Grande Sukhumvit (but then read some bad reviews) and the pathumwan princess. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Empire Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Rajawongse Clothier
Gift & Speciality Shops
Raja's Fashions
Gift & Speciality Shops
Alex's Fashion Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

The J W Marriot comes to mind. I would also suggest the Novotel Lotus on Soi33. It is not the same standard as the JW, but is probably 40-50 USD cheaper, and since you will be arriving late maybe saving that money is something to consider. I have stayed there several times and it is a decent place. I would also consider the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. The Landmark is another possibility.

The Novotel is almost across the street from the Emporium, and the Sheraton is easy walking distance. The JW and Landmark are convenient to the Skytrain, and shopping at stores along Sukhumvit, but you would probably want a taxi or Skytrain to a shopping mall.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

I think the Landmark is your best bet - ok hotel in a good location

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

Try the Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit, 2 minutes walk to the sky train (they were building a walk way when I was last there) and a fantastic hotel to boot. It's 5 star, just the ticket for your honeymoon.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

yea the walk way's done now from sheraton to the train

auckland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

Thank you everyone - very helpful advice!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

Spanny

Congratulations on your marrage

If your flight arrives at 9:30pm then it will be unusual if you are in Sukhumvit area before 10:30 - 11pm

As your flight leaves at 12 noon next day you will normally have to leave 9 - 9:30 am to get to the airport for check in. You don't say where you are flying on to but assume internal.

You will not get any shopping in as most Malls do not open before 10am and will be closed by the time you arrive in your hotel, and the street vendors are not set up that early in a morning but the night stalls would be on Sukhumvit but many are mobile bars as 11pm is a change over time and as long as you are not arriving on a Monday.

Landmark is a great hotel especally the club floor but you should have a 24 hour period there to get the most out of it.

Other hotel choices use the links on the left

Have a good trip

auckland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

The flight actually leaves at 2pm (to Phuket) so i'm guessing we'll have to leave the city at about midday which might give us a few hours but yes - not much time at all. I'm considering the Davis as the rates seem very reasonable and there seems to be a few things to do near the hotel. Thanks for your advice.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

If your flight is at 2pm then I would suggest you leave at 11:30 latest if not 11am as the new airport I saw was asking to arrive 2 hours before for domestic and 3 hours for international flights.

Those times may ease as the airport gets run in.

I'll know a little more as I arrive in 6 days

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

I too would recommend the Landmark Hotel, as its your honeymoon (many congratulations!) I would of said choose a room on the club floor and enjoy the cocktails and nibbles in the club lounge but you will be arriving too late for that which is a shame, but you will enjoy the breakfast, good selection and well presented and caters for every taste

I find the staff very good and you can get some good rates on their website. We have stayed in the hotel now over half a dozen times and will still go back and its location is excellent, you are near bars nightlife and places to eat as well as the Nana train station to take you around (be it very brief!)

Wherever you do choose you will have a fantastic time, and wish you a happy honeymoon!

London
Level Contributor
123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sukhumvit area hotels

I just came back from Thailand after spending an amazing holiday there. We are thinking about going there again for our honeymoon next year. The Davies is a fantastic option. 5 star hotel with very affordable prices. Spotless and with caracter. Do not book a room in the corner wing though, it's not as good as the main wing. It would take you about 1 hour to get from/to the airport.

If you fancy staying in Siam, stay at Lebua state tower. Just the breakfast if worth the visit to Bangkok.