We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

We flew into Bangkok via Thai Airways from JFK on October 20 at around 16:30. The flight was via the North Pole, took over 17 hours, and arrived on time. We flew premium economy and had no complaints with the service. It was a hike from the gate to immigration, but once there, the processing was quick and convient as was the currency exchange. The baggage was a bit slow. We were met by our guide and driver and effeciently transferred to our hotel, though the traffic was a bit heavy. We stayed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid. The room was nice, on the 18th floor and overlooked the river. The breakfast buffet was excellent. We went on a tour of the Grand Palace (worth going to) and the Wat Po temple. Then took the commuter boat back to the hotel for a change of pace. We spent the afternoon by the pool reading and relaxing. We ate at a seafood restraunt accross the river reached via their boat. The food was excellent - if a bit on the spicy side. The next morning (Sunday) we were back to the airport for our flight to Kathmandu via Thai. Check in was effecient as was the airport tax transaction and security. The new airport has tons of shops and such if you're into that.

We then spent the next eleven days in Nepal in Tibet which were an unforgettable experience.

We returned to Bangkok the evening of November 1 from Kathmandu via Thai. Same drill regarding the hike, immigration and baggage. We were again met by our guide and travelled in less traffic to our hotel, The Amari Watergate. Again a nice hotel and a room on the 30th floor. An excellent breakfast buffet. The next morning we took a boat tour which included the canals, royal barges and the Wat Arun temple. Again a worthwile tour. We spent the afternoon reading by the pool. We ate in the hotel bar and grill. After 11 days on the road we were ready for some American style ribs!! The following morning they opened the resteraunt early to accommodate our early flight. Again the check in was smooth and then we had to board a bus to get our flight to Saigon. Though somewhat apprehensive about returning after an absence of 36 years, the trip went well. We returned to Bangkok again around 20:30 on the 5th and transferred to the JFK flifgt that left at 01:00 on the 6th. Transferring again requires at least 25 minutes of hiking. Very inefficient for supposedly a modern airport. The JFK flight took off and arrived on time. 17 hours is a long time!!

On a scale of 1 to 10 our trip was a 12!!

Mentioned in this post
Amari Watergate Bangkok
Amari Watergate Bangkok
6,278 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok Tours & Trips
Boat Tours, Day Trips
X2 River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours, Private Tours
Bangkok My City
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Bluephantom

Thanks for taking the time to post a report they do tend to be in the minority of postings. Nice to see someone take the time to report back and tell everyone their experiences.

Transfer times seem to be like that these days as airports get bigger the internal distances are long.

Thanks again

Bellingham
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Hey Bluephantom,

I just moved from Kennebunkport to Washington State......nice to see another Mainer on -line.

I'm spending the month of Feb. in Thailand, the first 3 days in Bangkok then taking the overnight train to Chiang Mai, 8 days here tthen back to Bangkok for a day and then fly to Phuket for some sun and relaxation.....

Any tips other than thoses you have already mentioned?

Thanks, Scarlet

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
New York City
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Any tips on how you made the 17 hours fly by?

And, was PE and Economy full?

Thanks

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Scarlett:

I found trolling this site very useful for general information on the airport, sight seeing, hotels, and the various local travel scams. As a result I really didn't experience any surprises.

Blue Plantom

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Tengohambre:

Going from JFK to the flight left at noon. From what I could see, both premium economy and economy were full. They served drinks about 1/2 hour into the flight followed by the first of three meals. can't remember what it was, but it was not bad. Wine was served with each meal. They had us keep the windows closed, but the flight over was mostly daylight. I read for most of the time, but did catch a movie and get some sleep. They serve a second meal about eight hours into the flight and another one 2 hours before landing They constantly offered juice and water. You were free to go up back and grab fruit, cookies or a beverage. I had a couple of Thai beers along the way. Overall, the time seemed to pass, and we weren't that wiped out on arrival. We we arrived at 16:30 the next day, got a good night's sleep and were good to go the following day. Going back you leave at 1am in the morning and arrive at 6 am the same day. The flight in both sections was about 90% full. Same interval of service. I got about 4 hours sleep and my wife about 8. I read and watched two decent movies. Most of the flight was in darkness. We suffered much more jet lag going in this direction. Took me about four days to get my body back on schedule.

The phantom

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

Interesting - thankyou.

7. Re: Trip Report - Bangkok Portion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 17:16