We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Denmark
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Where do you get the most 'value for money'??

* A small room in a big luxury hotel?

* A big room in a small budget hotel?

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
#2 of 911 hotels in Bangkok
The St. Regis Bangkok
The St. Regis Bangkok
#13 of 911 hotels in Bangkok
The Siam
The Siam
#1 of 911 hotels in Bangkok
London + bangkok...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Hi Jezz, what a very interesting question. A question that has made me think long + hard - in fact since reading your post i have thought of NOTHING else! and finally after weighing up all of the possible options and in the certain knowledge that i have left no stone unturned, and of course taking into account the fluctuations in the exchange rate between the Cuban peso and the Russian rubul as well as the breaking news from Madagascar ( Fox News ) that oil has been discovered under the Vatican my answer is... '' there ain't a lot innit '' or if you really push me for an answer then it would have to be - i don't know !!! P.S i have though heard some fantastic comments in praise of getting a biggish room in a bigger hotel, and to a lesser degree some poor comments about getting a smallish room in a smaller hotel. Although the bottom line would of course depend on how little you are! Jezz.... are you little ?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

I am in favor of the lass expensive hotel. Every trip I consider a night at the Oriental, but then I realize 1 night at the Oriental costs what the hroom for the other 5 nights at the smaller hotel costs. I can still go to the restaurants or bars at the nice place if I chose. If you do want to stay at a top end hotel, Bangkok is the place to do it though. Top end rooms in Bangkok are cheaper than most other cities.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Hi Jezz,

How many days will you be staying, if it's weeks then perhaps a cheaper hotel depending on your money but for me DEFINATELY a better hotel is the go.

Please excuse previous answers as we are all entitled to ask questions whatever they be.

Where ever you stay please enjoy your holiday as Thailand is a fasinating place to visit.

Pauline

Perth

Mentioned in this post
London + bangkok...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

OOPS! i am very sorry Jezz if my first response to your post was less than polite, i have been to a party tonight and had a glass or two of beer. I wrote my initial comments as a joke with NO intention whatsoever to post it, however my girlfriend hit the enter button. I am very sorry.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

May I answer your question with another question..... Is it better to buy an expensive house in a cheap area or a cheap one in an expensive area.

We tend to "average" a little when we choose hotels. Spend a few nights here and there in better hotels and some nights in cheaper hotels.

For instance we paid something like USD 400.. (it was worth it)..in the imperial hotel in Delhi... but only USD 50 in an ordinary hotel in Udaipur.

If you are travelling outside the "peak season".. you can often get 200 dollar rooms for about half price in the upmarket resorts... But the cheap hotels tend to be discounted less...

I'll try to answer YOUR question..... the price you pay is not merely for the room... but for the total package... from the ambience... the breakfast... the hotel staff... the location.... the lot...

I tend to think that the cheaper room in the more expensive hotel is better value.... Having said this... there's huge difference between hotels... So a 200 dollar room in one place may compare with a 300 dollar room in the one down the road... or the 100 dollar one in a different area....

Brug an hel masse tid på planlægningen... og I will spare jer selv en masse penge.. Ha en god ferie!

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

It depends what is most important to you. The size of the room? The quality of the service? The overall feel of the place?

I generally think that it would be better to think about value for price. Use some of the reviews to give you a sense. For my $200 in BKK I would probably do a room at the Peninsula, which is a top quality hotel in every sense. I don't think the value added for the Oriental is worth the added cost if you are counting dollars.

If you opt for the better room in the cheaper hotel, don't go too cheap. Places can give you an extra person in the service department, but they often are what they are, so pick a 4 star that gets good marks (like Sofitel Silom) and not some suite in a 2 or 3 star.

Anyway, it is an interesting question. Once again, think about what is most important to you. There are many wonderful hotels in BKK. Think about size of the hotel and the room, service, location, breakfast, pools common spaces, what the other guests staying there will be like (ie. some places cater more toward children and tour groups and if you are not into this, it might cancel out the experience of having a really nice room.

My vote would be for the Penninsula!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Depends on your lifestyle or who you are traveling with

If traveling alone or with spouse or mate then a small room in a luxury hotel would be my choice,

If traveling with a large group or family then a huge suite in a budget hotel would be best.

Denmark
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Thx a lot for the very funny answers :o)

I'll be staying three nights in Bangkok with my wife, on the way back from Australia in Apr. '07. It's out Honeymoon.

I've been looking at:

* Shangri-la, which is app. 170$ for a small 32-36sqm room

* Pathumwan Princess, the exec. suite, which is 64sqm and costs 130$

* President Solitaire, the laaaarge suite of 80sqm which is also 130$

And I just cannot figure out, what to chose...? Where do I get the craziest luxury for my money? Luxury is the keyword here.

Thx

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pathumwan Princess Hotel
Pathumwan Princess Hotel
5,963 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Solitaire Bangkok
Solitaire Bangkok
113 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Definitely go for a smaller room at a luxury hotel. No question. I recommend the Four Seasons Bangkok. Excellent service (the BEST concierge anywhere), great rooms, beautiful shower and bath, gorgeous fitness center and great location near skytrain. We love it there.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 200$ room in luxury hotel vs. 200$ room in budget hotel

Oh, I forgot to mention that you should call you local toll free Four Seasons reservations line to inquire about room availability. When you do, ask if they have any special rates when you will be staying there. They found some rates for us at the Four Seasons Bangkok that were better than what were on the online reservations page. Let them know that it will be your honeymoon.

The hotel's restaurants Biscotti and Spice Market are excellent and reasonably priced.

If you want to splurge at a restaurant while you're in Bangkok, book a table at Sirocco at the top of the State Tower (or just go there to the Sky Bar for drinks). It's really expensive (we didn't expect those prices in Bangkok), but the view is to die for at night. Gorgeous.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Biscotti
Biscotti
444 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Spice Market
Spice Market
296 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand