We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Orchid Sheraton vs. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

NYC
4 posts
Save Topic
Royal Orchid Sheraton vs. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

Anybody have any insight as to which one is the best? I know that the SGS is more expensive and required more points so I would naturally assume that it is. However, the ROS has been getting props in Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast traveller.

I am Starwood Platnium so I would assume that I will receive the "best room available" along with all the various club level amenities. It sounds like those may be better at the ROS. I will be paying with Starpoints (which I have too many ever to use) so I really don't care about "value" really more about staying at the best hotel.

Staying with my wife on our 1st anniversary so the "scenery" is not important either. We are here for a few days, then up to the Four Seasons Chiang Mai for 4 days then overnighting at the Peninusula in BKK before flying home. Really we are looking for a solid hotel for 4 days. Neither one of us has ever been to Bangkok so we'll want to be somewhere central to all the activities.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
835 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Orchid Sheraton vs. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

My wife and I spent two nights at the Royal Orchid Sheraton on October 20 and 21. The hotel is right on the river which has convient boat service to the Grand Palace and temple areas. We took the boat back from our Grand Palace tour. Our room had a nice view of the river. Their breakfast buffet which was included in the room price was both varied and excellent. We had one lunch in the hotel and other than the nice river view it was nothing to write home about. With all your points, you'll probably get a room on the club floor. Being from New York, I assume you're coming in on the Thai Airways JFK - BKK flight as we did. If so, you'll hit Bangkok around 4:30PM and with baggage, customs and rush hour traffic you'll get to the hotel around 6:30. After Bangkok we spent 10 days in Nepal and Tibet eventually going back to Bangkok for two nights before going on to Saigon. On the second Bangkok stopover we stayed at the Amari Watergate Hotel which was also OK. I assume other folks will chime in on the other hotel. Have a great trip!

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Orchid Sheraton vs. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

Greetings, fellow SPG Platinum member, and welcome to TA.

I have always had fine stays at both properties for work and pleasure. Since you are staying riverside at the Peninsula, you might enjoy the contrast the Sheraton Grande would provide. Quite a number of interesting sights and activities by the SGS, and certainly one of the finest pools for relaxing and playing with a loved one.

More info can be obtained by doing a search on both hotels. (More of my thoughts can be accessed by typing "macintosh SGS" and/or "macintosh ROS" in the search bar.)

Finally, congrats on your 1st anniversary. (We recently honeymooned in BKK at the Peninsula and the Oriental; hope you also have a fine time.)

macintosh (robert)

Watching the river flow/

(b. dylan)

3. Re: Royal Orchid Sheraton vs. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 01:19