We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel booking deposits

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel booking deposits

I've just made a booking for a room at the Majestic Suites for next year through an online hotel booking agency. They have emailed me back saying that the room is available, and they are asking for a deposit which works out to be about 40% of the total price, and the remainder is to be paid 2 weeks before I arrive at the hotel. Since this will be my first holiday, and never having booked a room before, just wondering if this is standard practice?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel booking deposits

It depends, each agency varies. Asiarooms.com generally wants all the money upfront and personally I would rather have it sitting in my bank a/c for as long as possible. I have used asiarooms in the past with no problems but this time have booked with sawadee.com as they only required 1 nights deposit and the balance 2 weeks prior to departure.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel booking deposits

Forget it mate. Any hotel booking website that wants you to pay in full before you arrive can dream on. I could understand if the booking was for Christmas and New Years however.

Typically, most hotels and some websites will require you to deposit an equivelent of one night's room charge and nothing more. Not sure who you are using to book this room, but I might check others or try to book with the hotel directly.

Here an email to their reservations department.

mailto:resv@majesticsuites.com

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel booking deposits

Sawadee and all R24 sites would ask for 1 nights deposit and the balance a few weeks ahead, there are sites that want larger amounts or as mentioned above 'all the money' in advance, I would never ever deal with such.

I have used various R24 sites through sawadee for many years and never any problem at all.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel booking deposits

Thanks for the replies. It was with sawadee, which is why i'm questioning it. I've sent an email to the hotel directly, but no response from them yet. Might give them a call tomorrow.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel booking deposits

Strange ... I used sawadee.com the last time I booked my hotel in Bangkok (Oct 2006) and only needed to pay a night's deposit (as mentioned by the rest above).

I sure hope they havn't changed their policy - 'coz sawadee.com was great and I plan to use them again for my upcoming trips again to Bangkok and Phuket.

Do keep us informed? Good Luck ;-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel booking deposits

That is strange, unless it is the policy of the hotel, I would go with James's suggestion and email the hotel, just ask them what sort of deposit they need.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel booking deposits

I just called the Suites directly and was advised that they just need a credit card number to hold a room. So I think I will book directly through the hotel.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel booking deposits

I would certainly not supply my credit card number to Majestic Suites.

Usually, this is required if you expect them to hold the room later than an agreed arrival time.

Unless the policy for reservations of hotelrooms in BKK has changed, I have never supplied a deposit or given my card number before I arrived. I think Majestic Suites is trying to be clever.

Be careful with credit card details.

Unless you travel during the height of the holiday season there is no shortage of hotel rooms in Bangkok and certainly not in the area and price range of Majestic Suites.

9. Re: Hotel booking deposits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 21:19