We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bombings - what to do?

Queensland
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Bombings - what to do?

We leave for Bangkok in 48 hrs and am now unsure what to do. We will be staying Pratunam Market area. Can some locals please advise as to extent of damage and as to what the Thai government is reporting. We are very concerned for safety but do not wish to overreact. I thank you ina advance for any advice you may have to offer.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bombings - what to do?

HI,

Perhaps you could look up www.bangkokpost.com ( I think), it is the local newspaper and see just how bad it is and then perhaps www.smarttraveller.gov.au something like that.

I know how you feel but just wait and see, the Thais are pretty good at handling this sort of thing as they dont want their tourist industry ruined.

Sorry I cant give anymore advise than that.

Pauline

Perth

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bombings - what to do?

No reason not to come. The bombs didn't go off in tourist areas.

bombs go off anywhere in the world these days. If you want to be on the very safe side, don't leave your house.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bombings - what to do?

Have to agree with jemima here. The bombs were not aimed at tourists. No reason not to come at all.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bombings - what to do?

I don't know other than one of the Bangkok Post headlines is "Second bombing wave aims at tourists"

Anchorage
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bombings - what to do?

I don't know other than one of the Bangkok Post headlines is "Second bombing wave aims at tourists"

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bombings - what to do?

We're due to go to Bangkok/Phuket in February after 14months long working slog, we're going.

I'm not postponing anything if you do then you just let "terrorists" win

Going to use the same amount of common sense as we did the last time and we made some great Thai friends and no cowards are going to spoil this re-union.

If you're that concerned change your accomodation Bangkok hotels are cheap enough to do this.

I would imagine the security for the market area will be alot more visible.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bombings - what to do?

I agree with what has been said. I suspect those responsible will be arrested soon and are probably the henchmen of those politicians who lost power (read money) after the coup.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bombings - what to do?

Looking at the sights where the bombs went off, I have concluded that they were not aimed at tourists. I think some non-Thais did get injured, but Bangkok is a cosmopolitan city, and in most commercial areas a certain number of non-Thais will be found. Just as crime in New York or London affects some foreign visitors, so does crime in Bangkok sometimes affect foreign visitors. In the more than a dozen trips I have made to Bangkok in the past 5 years, I have only been to one of the sights affected, and that was the Klong Toey market, which is not a destination most foreign visitors will go to. I only went there because my Thai wife wanted to do some bargain hunting. In short, there has been nothing reported in the news media about these incidents that cause me a great deal of concern. More foreign visitors will get seriously hurt in car and pedestrian accidents than bombings, but that does not stop most people from going to Thailand, or crossing street recklessly for that matter. By all means any traveler should be vigilant, but there is no need to get too concerned. Personally, I feel safe leaving for Bangkok next week. I would also feel safe leaving for London, New York, Paris, or Madrid, all of which have experienced similar, or more deadly, incidents in the past few years.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bombings - what to do?

The latest series of bombings reminds me of an event several years ago. The day after returning from Thailand, several friends asked me about the bomb that had gone off at Don Muang airport, as it was first reported in the news. Having just passed through Don Muang, and not having noticed an explosion, I became curious. It turned out no bomb had gone off at Don Muang, but rather there had been an explosion at the building that housed the El Al ticket office. The news stories then focused on a terrorism link, until the rest of the story came out, and the story died quietly. There had in fact been an explosion, but the cause was a man who was disgruntled with Tesco/Lotus. He had gotten a rocket launcher and fired a rocket at the Tesco/Lotus on Rama IV. He missed the entire Tesco/Lotus, and the rocket struck the building that happened to house the El Al office. In short, be very cautious about what you read in the news media.I am not certain what the whole story is about the bombs in Thailand, but I am confident that the story has been distorted by the time it was put out on the wire service or internet news outlet.

10. Re: Bombings - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 22:16