We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

danger!

Maia, Portugal
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
danger!

I am going in less than a month in honey moon to bangkok. Australia is advising tourists not to go. And i dont really dont know what to do. What are the late news. What is your opinion? Should i worried?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: danger!

hi.l would def go............its safe as any city.....just be aware as you would anywhere else...the thais wont put up with trouble or bombers....l went when the marshall law was on....you could get a trip to see the tanks and have your pic taken with them...but all in the right sprit.....lve been 5 times never had a problem...except the trafffic....good luck enjoy.....l would not worry.....great new airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: danger!

Hiya,

im also from australia and have a trip booked to Thailand in March..

we had 4 nights in Bangkok and decided to cancel that section of the trip and extend the time we are staying to Koh Samui...

im sure nothing will happen in Bangkok but i dont wanna go somewhere where the government is specificaly saying not to go.. even tho there is danger everywhere you go i just dont feel comfortable going to Bangkok at the moment.. maybe another time...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: danger!

I think it is important to research the situation to some degree. Government travel warnings tend to overstate the real risk. There is a time to take them very seriously, and a time to take them with a grain of salt.

My family will be leaving Friday, and we have concluded that the risk is not that great. While following the bomb story, I noticed a smaller headline that said over 300 people had died in road accidents throughout Thailand over the New years weekend. That is a far more damaging statistic, even though the bombings grabbed international headlines.

I do not believe Bangkok is an inherently dangerous detination. Getting caught up in a criminal act is a possibility in New York, London, or Sydney, as well as Bangkok. The chances of getting caught up in that criminal act are small in all of those cities, but still it is possible. I believe visiting Bangkok is as safe, or maybe safer, than any of the other cities.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: danger!

I am here at the moment returning to work tomorrow (sob sob). I agree with all that has been said about the current situation.

There is statically more chance of getting hurt in most of our home countries than in Thailand.

Having said that it is always up to you.

As you will be on your honeymoon you should be happy with where you go as it should be one of the happiest holidays of your life. If you feel that you will worry then I would suggest you go somewhere else.

The Thai s are determined to make their country safe and find who set off these bombs. They were not predominately in tourist areas and those I spoke to think they were for effect rather than damage.

I have already got my next 3 trips to Thailand booked for this year and nothing would stop me traveling.

Where ever you go congratulations and have a great honeymoon

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: danger!

Just got back, it is perfectly safe,life as usual basically. Govt have made some arrests re bombings.Streets are crowded and no one seems to be altering life styles at all.But, guess its up to you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: danger!

and i think the air of cautious has also seemed to disappear.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
727 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: danger!

i just got back from bkk the other day...i was there on december 26-31 too...it is perfectly okay...danger lurks everywhere you go, so the best thing to do is just always be careful anywhere in the world u plan to go. the only difference i saw between december and january was that there were not as many people in mbk...but probably it's only coz it's not holiday season anymore... :)

if you are going on a honeymoon though i suggest u also go to other places outside of bkk as bangkok is basically a busy city...u can probably go to phuket or other beach places....

australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: danger!

Thailand overall This Advice is current for Saturday, 27 January 2007.

High degree of caution

This is the current warning from the australian government website, it does not say do not travel, but use a high degree of caution.....it's up to the individual i guess. We just got back (two weeks ago) from bangkok and never felt unsafe anywhere. We just were alert to the usual things you're alert to in any large crowded city and also didn't go places where there were massive gatherings, particulary of thai people having political demonstrations etc....was pretty easy since we spent all our time at the shops and restaurants!

j.

9. Re: danger!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 00:18