We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Thai Airways

Hi,

I'm thinking of booking Thai Airways fm Bangkok to New York. Can anyone tell me if it's a good airline to travel in on such a long haul flight. Is it always full load (passengers)? Is there a personal tv? Thanks!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Airways

I think this is the only non-stop flight from BKK to NY and takes around 17 hours? Everyone else stops (Thai did a huge billboard campaign bragging about this) and takes about a minimum of 4hrs more. Look through the passenger opinions on www.airlinequality.com to read reviews from fellow passengers who have taken this trip.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Airways

Greetings and welcome to TA. (I love Singapore, and that special Singapore Airlines --- an enormous reason I am happily wed.)

Well, I enjoyed my TG790 "super" long-haul, BKK-JFK. (And the return, on TG791.) Granted, I was in Business Class, and with that 60" seat pitch, and those gracious flight attendants gliding by in their beautiful, full-length, Thai gowns, well the 17-hours just flew by. (These days, my business travel entails the locations listed under my handle, along with HKG, a new monthly venue.)

As long as you procure an adequate seat/row, stay hydrated, move around, and eat sensibly, you should be just fine.

I give my TG 790/791 C-Class segments the highest possible praise, in that they are the near-equal of Singapore Airlines' "super" long-hauls. (Given my present personal circumstances, it's difficult for me to put any airline ahead of SQ; thank you for your understanding.)

Smooth rides to you...

macintosh (robert)

... "Smooth as Silk" ...

(Thai Airways)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Airways

Hi

I agree with macintosh. I flew on the business class to NY last year too and I think it is awesome to have a direct flight to NY. I did not even realize that it took me nearly 17 hours! Time passed quickly. Yes, just keep youself move around during your flight and drinik a lot of water. I think this flight have a personal screen on the premium silk class too which is a premium economy class.

Celine

P.s. I love SQ too ; )

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Airways

Hi robert

good to know that hong kong is on your route now.

which hotel do you stay in when in Hong KOng? and if i may ask what are your travel plans ofr hong kong in March

Maybe we can meet up there so i can put a face to the name.

will be in HK from the 5th to the 11th and will be making the Island Shangri-la my residence while i am there

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
453 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Airways

Have flown with Thai around twenty times and I can honestly say I've never been disappointed . I do the long haul from LHR and the service on board is great , and the cabin crew are lovely .

Unfortunately they only have personal tv on some of their airbuses all classes , but if you visit their webite you can amass all the details and info you should need , including which movies they are showing on the flight .

They have a very good reputation for a reason...they've earned it .

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai Airways

Greetings Sharon,

My current work schedule for March has me in HK, 20-23, with an anticipated weekend leisure extension with mrs. macintosh (flying in from SIN). The better half is now dying to stay at the Four Seasons or the Landmark MO for our weekend --- I really do need to have another talk with her about "budgeting."

(For what it's worth, my current February Hong Kong meetings are 21-23, and should you be at HKG this Friday in the early morning, I'll be flying to SIN via SQ1 --- coffee/tea on me at the SKL.)

Have always stayed at the Island Shangri-La for work (my boss' favourite), and have nothing but the highest praise for that property. Love Hong Kong, particularly the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge at HKG: Outstanding. (And all of my late-night, in-room, massage treatments at the Island SL have been most therapeutic.)

Speaking of airport lounges, the TG RFL at BKK is special. (I wrote a recent review.) You probably have your favourite BKK-HKG-BKK segments; I've had fine flights, TG600/607 in business, and upgrades to first.

Mrs. m and I hope to see you soon, somewhere in Asia. I have a bit of discretion in BKK (and SFO), but when it comes to NRT, SIN, and HKG, I basically travel when I'm told, stay where I'm told, and do what I'm told. (Sounds vaguely like my marriage.)

macintosh (robert)

... Smooth as Silk ...

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
830 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai Airways

Hi

My wife and I flew premium economy on Thai JFK-BKG on October 19 and returned on November 6. There are individual video screens with a variety of movies and other entertainment both in premuim economy and coach. Three meals were served which we found were fine. The meals in premium economy are the same as coach. There is also a drink service prior to the first meal. Between reading, movies and some sleeping, the time passes better than one would think. Good previous advice concerning keeping hydrated and getting up and walking around every once and a while. We would take the flight again if the opportunity came up. They are now running specials on both premuim economy and business class according to the Thai USA website.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai Airways

Don't think we will meet. I too travel when i am told but I have decided that in Hk i will only stay at the Island Shangrila and no where else.

My schedule for hk is 5-11 march so i guess i will miss you.

Sorry

Before that i am in Bangkok from valentines onwards

9. Re: Thai Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 02:19