We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

Came Across this of CNN thought I would Share.

cnn.com/2007/…index.html

Very End of Report

On Thursday, several incoming flights were diverted to another airport about 200 kilometers (125 miles) away after debris was found on a runway.

The discovery of taxiway cracks, which began appearing about two weeks after the airport opened, was made public last week by lawmakers inspecting the airport.

Cracks at 25 separate locations made it impossible to use 11 out of 51 air bridges for boarding aircraft, causing inconvenience to passengers who had to take buses to and from their planes, Transport Minister Thira Hao-Charoen said Thursday after an inspection visit.

1. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2007, 13:55
Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

With time i'm sure it will be fixed completely. All this corruption has led to it, but multiple errrors like so should make them reconsider opening the airport too early and not completing it like they did.

Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

Snap! I saw this on the news yesterday too and was just wondering what's going on? Are they still using the airport? One report I read said some flights had been circling for so many hours that they had to diver to Vietnams military airfield because they were low on field. We fly to Bangkok on 7th Feb....will we end up landing in Thailand or Vietnam?!?

Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

why do I never see mis-spelling until I post the message!

Snap! I saw this on the news yesterday too and was just wondering what's going on? Are they still using the airport? One report I read said some flights had been circling for so many hours that they had to DIVERT to Vietnams military airfield because they were low on FUEL. We fly to Bangkok on 7th Feb....will we end up landing in Thailand or Vietnam?!?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

We flew out of Bangkok airport on Friday with no delays and no problems, didnt notice any announcements when we were their.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
123 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

What's the latest on this - are the international airlines still flying into this airport? Is anything likely to change in the next week/fortnight?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

has any9one heard from their travel agent re diverting?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

As I hear and read it, it is likely that the old airport will see some addtionally domestic flights while the repairs are ongoing, thus taking some of the pressure off Suvarnabhumi while things get fixed.

Although this could change, it is likely that all International Flights will continue to take-off and land at Suvarnabhumi even while the runway (taxiway) repairs are going on.

Regarding the flight diversions that happened last week, 3 flights were diverted to U-Tapao air base IN Thailand (not Vietnam) - about 100kms to the east (near Pattaya).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

Although Suvarnabhumi has lost its safety licence, it is still in operation.

As for flights, well, they still land and take-off as per normal.

The givernment wants to reopen the Don Muang Airport once again for domestic flights but they are unable to do so at the moment as the runways there are also being fixed.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "Bangkok Airport Officially unsafe"--CNN

Flew home yesterday - business as usual. The planes that were delayed or diverted to U-Tapao were just for an afternoon or two as they closed the west runway for some temporary repairs.