We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying food at the night markets

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Buying food at the night markets

I recently read an article that said you select your food from the stall, take the food and eat it, and then go back and pay for the food. The vendors remember exactly what you ordered.

Is this right?

Doesn't sound right to me, but would love to make sure I do the right thing.

9 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying food at the night markets

It depends on the place.

At the Night Bazaar you buy tickets and give to the vendor.

Other places, not in the markets yes they do this... we go to a place over near Mc Cormack Hospital.We order at the front and nothing is written down. When we are ready to leave call out "Check Bin" they come over and say what we had and pay.

They often use different colour plates .

Away from the Tourist places they have small paper and you right the order out yourself.

Chok Dee

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying food at the night markets

I haven't heard of that one before!! I can't imagine a vendor being happy with that. We were there in April and just chose our food and paid for it before eating it. Enjoy.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying food at the night markets

It depends on the stall if it is one with a few small tables and chairs alongside it then yes you sit down eat your food and pay after otherwise you pay when you get your food.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying food at the night markets

OK, thanks all. I'll play it by ear.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying food at the night markets

Dish up food stalls (rice with curry or meat toppings) often do this, a pink plate with 2 topping, blue with 3, etc, prices based on quantity not item.

Some street food vendors do the same using plate styles for price indicators or simply remembering.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying food at the night markets

Really depends on the market and the vendor. Some do, some don't, and whether a small or large eating area, as well as locals or tourist oriented.

To avoid any 'confusion', always good to pay on arrival, and exact change is always appreciated.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 02:01
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying food at the night markets

We have done this plenty of times at the larger open-air eateries where there are tables set up with vendors around the periphery. We are always amazed that they can identify who has had what from where - but it seems to work.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying food at the night markets

Just pay up front unless they indicate otherwise. Change large notes in 7/11 to get small notes for markets.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying food at the night markets

Thanks again.

Reply to: Buying food at the night markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted