We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Does anyone have experience with these 2 hotels, or have another they love? We will be starting our 3 week journey from the US in Chiang Mai, and usually like to have our first hotel be a bit more on the comfy pampering side to get over jet-lag. A pool and location where we can walk directly from the hotel to restaurants, markets, shopping etc is also appreciated.

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Hi,

No question in my mind that 137 Pillars is the finer hotel, by far. Tamarind Village is very nice though and has a great location in the centre on the old city so it's very easy to walk to the major wats and there are many restaurants around the area. On Sunday the evening walking market sets up outside the hotel, otherwise markets are a tuk tuk ride away.

137 Pillars is in a quiet location by the river and there are some very good restaurants in Chaeroen rat road a short walk away. A 15 minute walk would bring you to Warrorot market, the biggest local market in central CM.

Cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
527 reviews
2. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

As Paul says - Tamarind is a fine hotel - and a great location - but 137 hands down for hotel quality - and whilst the location is nowhere near as good - it is a decent location with some good restaurants in walking distance - and overall a more picturesque setting

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

137 Pillars for sure. It is amazing. I have only eaten there and looked around, but just stunning. If you want to pay a lot less and be in the middle of the old city, Tamarind will suit you fine.

Caroline.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
294 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

I've not stayed at either one, but have passed by both and hanged out around the area.

137 is by far the fancier of the two; only that I find the location a bit far from town but otherwise plenty of cafes and restaurants around that area to have a meal or two. The inner roads where 137 is located is pleasant to walk around, but once you try to venture a bit further out it's gets a bit busy.

Tamarind Village is also nice, located right in the heart of the Old City, with plenty of wats within walking distance and a bunch of small, pleasant sois to walk around in. Traffic not too heavy either. The Sunday Night Market is also right at it's doorstep.

Depends on what you want to do, either one will be fine in terms of being pampered!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Have stayed at both. Yes, even though I live here I sometimes like to "just get away without going away"....If it's pampering, over the top comfort and beauty then hands down...137 Pillars. Even if you only stay there for two or three days. Tamarind Village is also wonderful, but a completely different vibe. Why not stay at 137 when you first arrive and then switch to Tamarind for the remainder of your first week in my hometown? Then move on to a totally different kind of hotel venue for your second week here? Just a suggestion....but first things first...book in at 137 Pillars. Enjoy! Marie (nannyre)

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Thank you everyone. We have booked 137 Pillars which is a splurge, but is our first hotel of a 3 week trip so the calm surroundings should help us get over the 24 hours of airplane travel and 12 hour time difference!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Two thumbs up for your choice! You WILL NOT regret it...and DO take a a bit of time to walk around the neighborhood. Some lovely places for brunch, lunch or dinner. Don't miss Bake & Bite and make sure to enjoy dinner at Kitchen Hush....but, make reservations at the latter. Best sushi outside of Japan! Enjoy and happy holidays. Marie (nannyre)

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

Hi We are doing a similar trip and starting in Chiang Mai. We are staying at the 4 seasons for 4 nights but we were thinking that we should stay in town the 4th night and we were debating about which hotel. Pillars looked so cool but the location of the Tamarind looks cool also. Did you go already? Were you happy with the Pillars?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

If it is a Sunday Night you might enjoy staying at Tamarind Village because it is right in the middle of the wonderful Sunday Night Walking Street Market. A weekly highlight. As much as I would always choose 137 Pillars - I think for one night you would be better off at Tamarind - for the location. You are right in the middle of the old city and you will get to see some of Chiang Mai at your door step.

Caroline.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
10. Re: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?

What do you think, Caroline, about Three Sis and Tamarind..we need a change.

Reply to: Tamarind Village or 137 Pillars?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted