We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi inthanon or White temple

Murrumba Downs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
57 reviews
Doi inthanon or White temple

I have a spare day in Chiang Mai , should I go to the Doi inthanon national park or the white temple in Chiang Rai ? Also is it worth visiting a long neck village ? Could it be incorporated in one of these days if I did decide to go to the long neck village .

12 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Chiang Rai takes at least 6 hours highway by bus, plus getting to the temple. Now if it was the Taj Mahal that might be worth it ... but it is a small modern temple with a throng of tourists in the queue. Save it when you go a few days to C.Rai. Doi Inthanon is also popular but not so far away.

The longneck women are refugees from Burma and are really all on display in a Human zoo. You pay and they act like they smile. I would say go to a thai tribal village near Doi inthanon, many Hmong villages there. Makes for less awkward fotos.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Chaing Rai is approximately 3 hrs each way. There is not much to see on the trip until you arrive in CR. I would pick Doi Inthanon as there are places you can easily incorporate into the day. Ganesh Museum and temple, Chom Tong Temple, several waterfalls and time permitting a stop in Baan Tawai for the wood carvers on the return trip.

Murrumba Downs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Thanks for the replies. How long does it take to get to Doi Inthanon?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

What waterfalls would you recommend on the way?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Doi Inthanon, as mentioned by others, is less of a drive. It's usually about and hour and fifteen minutes. If you're hiring a driver, they're likely to know the waterfalls in and around the area.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
931 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Doi Inthanon's been getting VERY crowded lately.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Always does this time of year with the locals going to view the frost that can form on the peak.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,402 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Doi Inthanon for me.

The drive to the White Temple is a long way so you would want to make sure you took in other sights around there. Doi Inthanon is a great day trip. Take something warm.

Caroline.

Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
9. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Doi Inthanon.

The white temple is nice and amazing, but I am not sure it is worth spending the hours to get from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai just for it.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
290 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Doi inthanon or White temple

Do Doi Inthanon.. As others have mentioned the White Temple in Chiang Rai is really a long drive.. About 3-hrs one way. Doi Inthanon is about an hour to the park's gate, and another 30-45 minutes to the "highest point in Thailand".

I did a tour to Doi Inthanon and the tour company guide was thrilled that I opted for this tour, otherwise she was already assigned for a 1-day trip to CR; in which you'll spend more time in the car then seeing anything!

If you're up for it do the 2-hour trek on the Kew Mae Pan trail, it's a relatively easy trek with stunning views from the top on a clear day. The trailhead is right next to a parking lot by the road so you don't lose time getting there. Otherwise hop around the many waterfalls around the area. Most, if not all are easily accessible by car and your driver should know them well enough.

Reply to: Doi inthanon or White temple
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted