We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

Dickinson, North...
1 post
1 review
New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

We will be in Chiang Mai for New Year's Eve, and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do. We were thinking the Sunday Night Market, but not sure if they'll be doing anything special for NYE? Also hotel parties aren't necessarily our thing. We heard of a buddhist chant session on NYE in Bangkok, and it would be awesome to find something similar in Chiang Mai, but not sure if there's anything like that or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
527 reviews
1. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

Here are a few fun areas in Chiang Mai

Riverside - go to the Good view restaurant (booking essential) and watch the fireworks whilst having a great dinner

Tha pae gate - will be packed - and likely lots of floating lanterns being launched (new years maybe more subdued with the Kings cremation having being on in Oct)

One aspect of new year in Thailand that is different from the west is the absence of a countdown. I have spent a dozen on more new years in Thailand in various parts and aside from on one occasion in Bangkok (in a western venue) I have never noticed a countdown happenning

Edited: 11 December 2017, 18:14
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

It may help you to take a look at the City Life website/facebook page. They list forthcoming events. There are also local facebook groups - "what, where, when," "what's on Chiang Mai," etc. Hope you find something to your liking.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

I am also looking for tips. I did not locate the page mentioned above

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

This may help:

www.chiangmaicitylife.com/events/

3 posts
5. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

Hi Kevin_One_Man_Show, Do you need tickets to The Pae Gate mentioned above? How do you participate in the lanterns and where are the best viewings?

Edited: 29 December 2017, 10:44
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
6. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

Also interested in that! Any news?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai

Jackie, tickets are not required for the area around Thapae gate.

I am unsure on what is happening with the Lanterns this year as the Government are trying to limit them.

Some years ago they were sell them at Thapae Gate and people were releasing them. They are selling them in the markets as my friends got some to use last week.

Yee Ping is the main time , This is in November. The issue is that the airlines have to stop flying in and out in the night. Where I say in San San is near one of the release sites ,so we just stand on the balconey and watch them.

Chok dee

Reply to: New Years Eve in Chiang Mai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted