We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amari or Tamarind Village

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Amari or Tamarind Village

We are in the process of booking four nights in Chiang Mai through Thomkas Cook and have been offered the choice of the Amari or Tamarind Village for a very similar price.

We will have two teenagers with us and just wondered whether one would be a better choice than the other? I am a little concerned because I have seen something about half doors to the bathrooms and our 18 year old daughter will have to share a room with her brother!

Thanks for any help - you time is greatly appreciated.

Moremi Game...
Level Contributor
659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

I stayed at the Amari many years ago , it was ok , just your average generic big hotel, it's a bit too far out of the hub of things for me.

I would go for the Tamarind if i had to choose , much nicer , not big and impersonal like the Amari.

There are tons of good places to stay in Chinag mai , but your budget is prolly very good , so go for the Tamarind.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

Hi!

Decorationwise more or less the same. But different location,Amari is located a bit off down town with hill view of Doi Suthep, the most not to miss to see the temple of the top of the mountain, nearby Doi Suthep, you can visit 1) Phu Ping Royal palace 2) Doi Pui, Mong Hill tribe Village.

Tamarind is located a bit close to down town shopping especially on the Sunday night, there is walking shopping street just next to Tamarind which you could enjoy shopping - price is negotiable, a amateur musician, a fund show, cheap local food plus a bit international like Sushi. Hope it is some informative for your considerations. I live in Chiangmai.

Pongsak

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

No hesitation to have:

go for Tamarind Village, great setting, perfect location in the old city, nice atmosphere with gardens.

The Amari located at the start of the Super Highway is just no match.

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

Many thanks for all your help. We have booked Tamarind Village and very much look forward to our visit.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

You'll love Tamarind. We stayed there early this year for seven nights and we really loved the hotel and the grounds. Breakfast was great and we loved lounging around the nice pool. The restaurant was nice for dinner too (EXPENSIVE but nice for a treat) - just wear light long pants or use insect spray as the mozzies can be EVIL. It is also close to everything - especially the Sunday Market which is right outside (do your shopping here because Thai handicrafts are MUCH cheaper then the night market and it is easier to bargain for some reason). Tamarind is such a tranquil place in the middle of the city.

6. Re: Amari or Tamarind Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 08:17