We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a camera in Thailand

South Africa
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a camera in Thailand

Hi,we're needing a new camera for our trip in April, and don't know if we should wait until we get to Bangkok to buy one at a better price or to get one here (S Africa). Also wouldn't know which shops (haven't been to Thailand before) and whether we could get a better deal in Singapore. Can anyone help with this, please?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

There have been a few posts on this. I managed to get my camera, a Panasonic FX50, cheaper than i could have got it duty free in Australia and that is despite the strong Baht.

I would look at BK in Bangkok or in Singapore. However make sure you know exactly what you want - don't windowshop.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

If you look at the Singapore Forum, this subject had been spoken about.

If you look at the Bangkok Forum, this subject had been spoken about.

Do not buy any electrical products from Singapore because of the value of the Dollar.

Plus there is no guarentee of a International warranty.

Even Bangkok forum members have stated that you may not get a good bargain.

All i can say is becareful what certain formum members say.

I was in Chiang Mai in November and December, i saw cameras and computers dearer than in Australia.

After all i do live in Australia.

This is my honest opinion.

I am taking a copy of this post and if it gets deleted i will know by whom.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

You may be better off buuying your camera before you leave SA. At least that way you can have a play with it and then hopefully take better snaps on your holidays.

Here in Oz we can buy up to 30 days before we leave and then claim back the GST.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

Just make sure your camera comes with a rescue disk.

Sorry Capie, private joke.

Seriously Capie, if you know what you want, look up prices for cameras in Thailand on the web. Then you'll have a fair idea if its worth it. Shops in Pantip Plaza or MBK are decent places in Bangkok.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

I have friends going to Chiang Mai next month.

Just let me know what Camera Model you are interested in.

I will get then to go to the Pantip Plaza and will have a look for you.

There are also other places to go to, because they have been going to Chiang Mai for 9 years so they know more than some of these so called Forum Post Experts.

Ed

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

as stated above, the warranty could be an issue

we just about bought a Canon S70 at a camera shop in MBK a couple of trips ago, but decided against it as the warranty would have been no good in the US. Buyer beware!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

Chiang Mai is of course not an place to buy a camera as you will pay more than in Bangkok. Always buy in the big centres if you can.

8. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 January 2009, 15:58
Udon Thani, Thailand
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

What the??

Of course Chiang Mai is not a good place to buy a camera. You are far better off buying it in Bangkok or Singapore where you have more range and more bargaining power. While not a professional photographer, I am a dedicated amateur. I agree with Rufuscat.

Firstly you can get an international warranty in Bangkok.

Secondly as Rufuscat states, if you know what you want, then it is possible to pay cheaper prices than in Australia. You can say I want this model, what is the best price you can do? Often the price won't go down that much, but a number of extras will be thrown in.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a camera in Thailand

Suze.

I agree with most of what you say.

Firstly Capie has posted this in the Chiang Mai forum.

Singapore, well i have seen several people state that it is getting more expensive to buy in Singapore, i notices this when i was at the Changi Airport in November and December 2008.

I know things can be expensive in Airports but this can also be a good guage for prices.

This is also stated in the Singapore Forum.

With the devaluation of the $ A$ is better to buy in Australia or you own counrty, at the moment.

I have been involved with Photography since 1972, hence i know a little about Cameras, old style and new.

Everytime i post certain posts, Rufuscat, always undermines my posts.

This is an ongoing problem.

Sorry for boring you with triviual information.

I always try to advise people as to the pitfalls of buying from another country.

This has been stated by numeras postes in Singapore Bangkok and Chiang mai Forums.

I always try to advise as to my experiance's.

Thanks

Ed