We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

HI all,

Going to Chiang Mai in April, can't wait.

I have been advised by Kai that the Chiang Rai day trip is too long and too hot at this time of year, and he has suggested an alternative.

"journey south to the Doi Inthanon, Thailand's highest mountain. Travel through the luscious forest on the way up the mountain to visit a spectacular waterfall before heading upwards to visit the Twin Chedis those Thai people built up to honor the King and the Queen before moving on to visit the Hmong Tribal village and their market where we will buy some snacks before start hiking along a trail that normally there is no tourist. You will enjoy beautiful scenery and spectacular waterfalls for approximately 2 hours. At the end of the trail there is another Karen village that you will experience the authentic tribal lifestyle before heading back to the city in the evening."

It sounds lovely but the hiking is worrying me a little - middle-aged slightly overweight office worker here! ;)

I have asked Kai how strenuous it is but was wondering if anyone has done this and can give me some feedback on how difficult it was.

Thanks in advance

Karen.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

Hi Karen,

Yes - be concerned about walking for 2 hrs if you are not in good fitness.

We had a day trip out and about with our guide near Chiang Rai in October last year. Being out in the heat and humidity all day is very draining. At one stage we had visited three villages and then went on a walk to a near by waterfall. The walk was only about 15 - 20 mins each way - but up hill - and exhausting! It is hot in April. Think about the last three days we've had in Brisbane and then add a bit more humidity and a few more degrees.

Feel no shame in asking for a car transfer to the village - or an alternate plan if you don't feel comfortable. Otherwise the trip sounds good.

Be aware also that there are many shorter trips you can do - in and around Chiang Mai just using a cab or red songthaew truck. ie. you don't need a guide for these trips. Examples are - The umbrella village Bor Sang, paper village - Ban Ton Po, San Kampheng Rd, a visit up the mountain to Wat Doi Suthep etc.

I have two trip reports posted around mid October last year on Chiang Mai. Just click on my profile and scroll back. Have a read and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Caroline.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

Hi,

We booked Sergeant Kai last December (although he didn't show and sent another guide, who turned out to be excellent) and he suggested a very similar trip but walking for my husband is a no no, we cut out the hiking and went to the Karen Village by car and instead opted for rafting and an elepant trek.

Hope that helps

Sarah

xx

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

Karen

Just a small tip

Go to your local Chemist and buy some sachets of powder called Hydrlyte.

As if you do too much you will get dehydrlyted.

This stuff will rehydrlyte you and you will not be so tired.

We used this Hydrlyte a couple of weeks ago in Chiang Mai and also in Singapore.

The temp was up to 34 deg C.

You will have over 37 as it is that now.

Use this site to keep track of temps.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=2

I hope this is of help

Ed

4. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2009, 10:06
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

Hi,

I did this trip with siphon and loved it, I would not call myself over fit, just be sure to wear good shoes, you will have no trouble. If you can ask Seargent Kai if you could have Siphon as your guide he is wonderful. Just ask if they will be still burning off at this time, as it can get very smokey. Have a great time, wish it was me.

6. Re: Tour with Sergeant Kai - advice needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 07:26