We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Traveller

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Traveller

Hi every1. I plan on going 2 Chiang Mai in September this year with my 2 sons aged 12 & 15. Could any1 suggest a good cheap hotel, only thing is, it must have a pool 4 the boys 2 unwind & have fun each day. I'm on a real budget as I'm a single mum & need 2 make every dollar go further. Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Traveller

Have a look at the current post on page one of the forum - called '8 days in Chiang Mai'. Someone else has asked a similar question this week. Some useful replies there. I've also given info there on some of the things our boys enjoy doing in Chiang Mai, which may help you.

Accommodation isn't expensive in Chiang Mai. You'll have no trouble finding something. It really depends on the kind of place you are interested in - B & B, backpacker style, hotel room etc.

You'll probably only need to get one room with twin beds and then get a rollaway bed. Have a look at the Centara Duangtawan on their own hotel web page. Large pool, good size rooms, breakfast inc in price.

Loads of info on this forum.

Caroline.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Traveller

Hi Caroline. I,ve been reading ur helpful hints on lots of subjects. I'm not overly fussed on the type of accomodation as it's only for sleeping, I plan on using every hour of the day/night 2 do something. I'm assuming it's hot like BKK which is why the pool is a must.

I have another problem u might be able 2 help with. My sons are very fussy eaters & wont touch Thai food, typical western food only. My 12yo only eats peanut butter s/w, bacon & eggs, fries or tin spaghetti. LOL. At least the older 1 will eat more variety, but still a real Aussie eater.

Ur reviews have been brilliant 2 read, very helpful.

Cheers,

Lynn

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Traveller

Hi again,

Here's a link to a recent forum discussion by someone with a fussy husband who wanted to know about locations of western or italian food options. There might be some info in here for you.

If you stay around the night market area there are many western food options - including all the usual fast food options. Many Thai restaurants also have western food options. You can usually get a club sandwich, fries - things like that.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k256…

As far as a hotel goes - maybe have a hunt around on this forum and narrow it down to a couple of options, then ask forum members for their opinion on the places. It's hard to recommend somewhere without knowing your budget per night. I only recommend the Centara Duangtawan because we've stayed with with our boys a number of times - it's close to the night market and has a large pool. There are so many options for B & B's, backpackers etc - you can probably get something cheaper but not sure about pool access. The Centara is around $Aus60 per night - including buffet breakfast for 2.

Others may be able to advise you with options...

Caroline.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Traveller

It depends just how budget you want. I agree with Caroline Centara Duangtawn is good value.

Do you want to stay in the city or are you after something outside ?

A very good value in addition to Centara is the Amora Tapae ( it used to be Rydges ) as they have a popular stay 4 nights pay 3 night deal, plus free airport pick up, that's 1,400 for 2, so 4 nights costs 3 nights= 4,200 which works out at 1,050 a night with breakfast ( about AU$47, but there would be an extra bed charge ).

There are lots of cheaper but sometimes it means the location isn't great, you end up paying to get to and from the center and can end up loosing out as opposed to paying a little more and not needing transport, or much.

Just tell us what you are thinking of, there are AU$30 places if that is what you are after.

So tell us if you want right in the center and also things you plan to do in Chiang mai, it's a city so masses of accommodation at all price ranges.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Traveller

What does cheap mean to you? My cheap and your cheap may be pretty far apart.

How much do you want to spend per night for this cheap hotel?

This hotel comes up every now and then - the Top North Hotel. Never stayed there, prefer the Montri, no pool at the Montri though.

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/topnorth.htm

Good luck.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Traveller

Try your kid on fried rice! You can get it with chicken or beef. Lots of people who will not eat any Asian food will at least do some fried rice.

Start with some at home before you leave for the trip. You can ask that the rice to be made less hot. Say "mai pet" if you want something a little milder.

answers.yahoo.com/question/index…

There is always McDonalds! Many restaurants will have Western foods on their menus. When you get fried eggs in Thailand specify how you want them cooked, if you are fine with runny half cooked then you will be in heaven. Otherwise tell them to cook the eggs well done (sook-sook.)

Here is a sample menu from a restaurant in Bangkok. Some supermarkets have in store restaurants, like this Foodland.

www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php…

Good luck.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Traveller

Thanx again Caroline, info was helpful. I did read about the lady with fussy husband, sadly my son is even fussier. He doesn't even eat burgers at Maccas unless it's just cheese & ketchup, I think the language barrier would cause problems there 2.

I'll just have 2 keep trying 2 get him 2 eat more variety because he really wants 2 go 2 Thailand.

Cheers,

Lynn

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Traveller

Hi Monika4,

Thanx 4 ur reply. I looked up the Amora Tapae as u suggested & they quoted me AUS$52 per night for the 3 of us which is great, I was looking around the $50 limit. The other thing is, if I use a travel agent 2 book the hotel with our flights, we can get it even cheaper again.

I would like 2 be close (10-15 minute walk) 2 the markets & night bazaar. I love walking as much as possible so I can soak up the atmosphere. We'll do all the usual tours while there.

Thanx again 4 replying 2 my question and I'm sure I'll think of more as the time gets closer.

Cheers,

Lynn

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Traveller

Hi Infidelal,

Thanx 4 ur reply. I'll take ur advice & try 2 get my son 2 eat fried rice, it will be the only problem I have travelling.

The only thing no-one mentioned was the weather at that time of year. I have stayed in BKK during July & September, hot & humid witth the odd burst of rain. Is Chiang Mai similar??? The only thing I've seen in other reviews is that it can get chilly at night. In Australia I would think temperatures under 20C chilly, BKK never got chilly.

Thanx again 4 ur help, I'll let u know if my son eats the rice.

Cheers,

Lynn

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Traveller

Hi,

We stayed at the Downtown Inn, really cheap but we found it clean and people were nice and helpful. right near the action, american breakfast included and a pool which we used heaps. We were there in August / September last year, hot humid and great storms. loved it and can't wait to go back. Highlight- Elephant Nature Park.