We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artists

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Artists

I have read postings about people having portraits done and am after a painting to be painted for me -rather than a portrait.We had few done in Phuket and I was wondering if these portrait artists do general paintings -abstracts and landscapes etc

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,299 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Artists

Here's a link to a forum discussion on the same topic. There are a number of recommendations in this discussion - including a guy we can highly recommend in the Night Bazzar building.

If you have trouble opening the link - just search the word 'artists' in the forum search box and a number of discussions will come up.

tripadvisor.com/…12807735

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Artists

Thanks for the link but most of the posts are for portrait and not abstract art or will they paint anything - Do these artists also have there own paintings to sell

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,299 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artists

Hi -

I think they do a variety of mediums. There are certainly a variety of mediums hanging in the studio. They have an email contact mentioned in the link - you can email them and ask.

The artist group we used is in the night bazzar building. You walk in and go down the stairs. They are at the bottom of the stairs immediately on the right. They also do orders via email - so you may be able to send a photo and get it started before you go.

You won't have any problem finding artists in Chiang Mai. It's a haven for art and craft - hand made products. Don't miss the Sunday Walking Street for local artists and photographers.

Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Artists

i had time to see some of the artists at the nightmarket (opposite Burger King there is a undergorund mall)...mindblowing! Alot are doing charcoal portraits and they are incredible. there are also artist at the Sunday Night Market who I think will do general commissioned paintings. Vietnam is also big on the commissioned paintings if you are travelling on in SE Asia

Mentioned in this post
Night Market
Night Market
559 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Artists

Hi:

We've had several paintings and sketches done in Chiang Mai. The major artist group is in the indoor mall at the night market, where you walk down the steps into the basement, as described in the above posts. Most of the artists specialize in protraits but there are some that will do landscapes and other pictures. Be sure to ask if they do more than protraits. I found most of them to be pretty honest when asked, as you only pay 1/2 of the price when you leave the picture so they don't want to do a poor job and have you not pay the balance when you come to pick up the picture. I had one picture of my two children that had some landscape in the background and the artist was very upfront that his training was only in portraits and he couldn't do the background as well as another artist.

There is one artist we have used a few times who I found better than the rest (although they are all talented). I can't locate his business card right now, but am trying to read his name off a large portrait in my living room. It looks like D. Dongkouw or something similar. He is on the right hand side when you walk down the stairs. He has long hair and appeared to be in his late twenties to early thirties. He was in that same place in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Best of luck

Broder

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
6. Re: Artists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 13:17