We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

Am really interested in doing the Elephant Helper Tour at the Nature Park which 2 days/1 night in June 2010. From my research this is one the best elephant conservation parks in the region. Am keen to hear from anyone that has specifically done this particular trip and can also recommend a Guest House in Chaing Mai as well. Thanks

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

The trip experience really depends on your luck. Some days are quiet and some are full of events.

Before going to park I sponsored a couple elepahants, Jokia and Maximus. Many people can sponsor the same elephants and of course the money gots to help run the park and care for the elphants and in return you get updated news on your elephants.

The day I arrived Maximus died, pretty much the second we arrived. This was very sad and Lek obviously was upset and in a state of mourning, therefore we did not see her after this.

On a good note though a baby was also born this same day, Faa Mia. So we also got to experience seeing a baby elephant's first day and how the elephant family responds in celebration and care.

We spent interacting with the elephants by handing them out treats and bathing in the river with the elephants. A wonderfull lunch buffet was served and you are able to purchase drinks if you wish not to have just water.

The afternoon carries on much the same way the morning did. I spent more of my time relaxing on the decks and watching the elephants and watching the other tourists.

Time flies fast and the day tourists soon left and we were served another wonderfull spread for dinner. Although only 1 other group was spending the night while we were, there are many volunteers are the park and you will quickly interact and make friends. Many of them have great stories about the elephants and their experiences if you have time to listen.

Later on that night Maximus was buried.

Our bamboo hut was 2 bedrooms and worked just fine for us because we took up both rooms. The washroom is on the outside of the hut. Put down your mosquito net during the day and close the windows before the sun starts to set or you will be living with those pesky bugs for the rest of the night.

In the morning get up early, seriously or you will miss anything good that is provided at breakfast and be stuck with dry toast. The volunteers work hard during the day and pack back their much needed fuel during this time so I suggest not even being 10 minutes late.

You will then get to spend private time with the elephants, usually a guide will take you out and give you a more personal tour and you will go places you did not the previous day.

Just remember, bikinis are not permited here or tolerated.

it is prefered you do not wear a tank and you may be asked to cover up. However Shorts are find and so are knee length and longer skirts.

Lek is hilltribe born and still follows Thai customs and it is a good idea to be very respectfull when visiting the park.

Have a great trip there.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

Thank you for such an iinformative posting - it has made me really want to visit Lek and her elephant family..

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

Just thought of something...........is there anywhere to lock securely, passport/travel documents while at the Park ?

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

I loved the ENP and you can view my blogs on it here : www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet - the blogs should be on about page 3 and 5..

I highly recommend CM Blue house at www.cmbluehouse.com - I stay here everytime I have been to Chiang Mai and love it.. the owners Tim and Tony and their staff are BRILLIANT and its cheap!

You will love ENP.. dont worry about your valuables.. you can leave them at the guesthouse in CM or they will be safe anyway out there!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

No worries, now all I need to do is book. Thanks once again - your blog is excellent.........happy travels!

6. Re: The Elephant Nature Park Chaing Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 05:16