We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

I'd just like to know honestly and candidly if this place treats these beautiful animals in a 100% humane and civilized manner. I know the reviews sound wonderful, but I would never want to visit or have my money to go a place that breaks the elephants will, etc.

I do know how great the Elephant Nature Park truly is, but I'm wondering about Patara... thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

I think there is info on Patara (including recent comments from forum members) under the FAQ section. Which elephant camp? This might give you some information.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

Well it really depends on what kinda of great you are looking for.

Great for you or great for the elephant.

I personally had a great time on my overnight stay at ENP.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

It sounds like you would be better spending some time at the Elephant Nature Park... I have been to the ENP twice and Patara once. Patara is the best place you can go if you want to do the elephant riding.. its all bareback no baskets (which are bad for Ellies backs) BUT on the downside....

1. All elephants are 'broken' - that is how they have been trained to be compliant to humans... you wont find them there not 'broken' ... having said that ENP ellies are broken (but not their newbies that have been born there)

2. The main thing I hated at Patara was the Mahouts were still using the 'hooks' to control the elephant...

However: they were the best treated Ellies I have seen in Thailand in all my travels in relation to a camp.

I personally believe that ENP is a better place to invest your money... but Patara is more interactive.

4. Re: Patara Elephant Farm, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 06:15