We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

I will be spending a day at Patara soon. I have read all the excellent reviews but wondered if anyone who has been recently can offer any further advice.

From reading the Patara website it seems to suggest they provide outfits to wear during the ride. I do have suitable long trousers to wear but are they going to provide mahout style clothing.

As I will be in the water washing the elephants, I assume there is somewhere to change out of wet clothes into dry ones prior to the ride to the waterfall.

Is it still worth taking my camera even though they appear to take care of photo opportunities.

Any other tips gratefully received

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

I wore a singlet top and long cargo pants... they provide a 'mahout' top to put over the top of your own top.. so just wear something tight/light underneath.... I never changed as it is so hot by the time you are going to the waterfall a) you are almost dry and b) you will be grateful for the coolness of your clothes being damp! You get so dirty on top of the elephants you are best just waiting until you get back to your hotel OR there is time at the end to stop at a toilet block and get changed if you like before heading back to the hotel.. we didnt bother.

I took my camera.. there is down time where you are watching other people interact with elephants, watching the guides and just general 'watching ellie' time especially at the end where they let you take photos of all the elephants lined up with their mahouts .. so its worth definitely taking your own camera!

You will have a great time!

United States
Level Contributor
136 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Hello!

I just went to the Patara elephant farm about 2 weeks ago and here is everything I can think of.

They pick you up from your hotel which is great. Breakfast is NOT included so make sure you eat something before.

When you arrive at the elephant camp there is a small bathroom (no running water) and they give you a shirt to put over your clothes. So make sure you wear your own clothes (long lightweight pants are great as the elephant’s hair can be prickly) and a t-shirt are fine.

You “meet and greet” the elephants and spend some time feeding and cleaning them before bathing them in the river. I just wore flip-flops but since you are in a river I would recommend something more (either water shoes, jellies, something that will stay ON your feet and not slip off). Your pants will get wet but if it is hot out they will dry quickly. If you want you can bring another pair and change in the bathroom.

You will then grab a snack/water and then ride your elephant to the water fall. This is a great time to swim with them! This is when you might want to bring additional clothes to change into (shorts and a t-shirt) for the swim with the elephants. There is a small bathroom as well if you want to change and make sure you bring a towel!

They provide a great lunch overlooking the river and you will ride your elephant back to the camp. Your legs will be VERY sore when all is said and done!

When you are finished they “encourage” you to spend 100 baht on fruit from the farmers for your elephant and we also tipped our guide.

I would bring my camera, as there are times for picture taking. My guide was great and took my camera while I was riding the elephant and he took some AMAZING pictures! Also, they do provide a CD (for free) with pictures and videos that is great as well!

We got back a lot later than they suggested (6:30pm) as we were stuck in rush hour traffic. Also, you pay when you get dropped off at your hotel, which is fine unless you are the last ones dropped off. We probably had to wait an extra hour for people to pay, find their money, get change, etc.

All in all it’s a long day, a lot of work and you will be VERY sore the next day but I think it’s a great experience! Enjoy!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Thanks for the useful replies

Lovetotravel - Did you take your cash with you or leave it at the hotel to pay on your return?

United States
Level Contributor
136 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

We took the cash with us (and had a lock on our backpack) only because when people left it at their hotel to pay it just took longer for the people who were still waiting in the car! Have a blast! Also, bring sunscreen or a hat (we didn’t have any problems with the bugs)

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Hi there!

I went to Patara about 2 months ago -

i wore a tshirt and long pants but they provided us with the mahout top put over our tshirts as others have noted above. I'd reccommend you to bring a spare change of clothes as well - i got wet twice. My pants got wet when we were bathing the elephants (i got sprayed by 3 of them!) and they gave me thick thai fisherman pants to wear. Later on, i also tried bathing my elephant when we were at the waterfall. It was slightly different than the first bath which was shallow water, and the second one was trickier in that i had to try and stay above water while my elephant was almost fully submerged. Needless to say, I ended up getting dunked into the water and was soaked head to toe. The second bath wasn't neccessary - half our group decided to stay back on dry land and watch, but it was definately worth it for me! But after this was when i changed into my spare pants. THere are toilets/change rooms on the property.

I brought my camera along with me- my elephant mahout actually took photos for me all day and i ended up with over 100 as well as the professional ones that were taken on the day! Bringing your camera is a good idea as your mahout will take pictures of you and your group's experience. The professional photographer actually takes photos for the whole group, so they may not get everything. Although you get a few phtoos that are the same, with your camera, you get other angles as well, so you can choose what you like best.

Our whole group actually had backpacks with us on the day with our money and spare change of clothes. WHile we were on the elephants, my mahout actually carried my backpack for me wverywhere! they were absolutely awesome.

The Hague
Level Contributor
384 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

This sounds a very exiting trip, could you tell me the rate for this day trip? I went on their website but I coul not retrieve any indication on it. Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

its on their brochures on the website. we paid 200AUD. i think its 180US.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Can I jump on this thread and ask a few more questions rather than starting a new one?

How far ahead do you think it's advisable to book..I'm hoping to go in August but we travel standby so exact dates are hard for us to predict until quite late..however I could possibly book a "hopeful date" as it would be mid trip.

I keep coming back to a post above that said "no running water in bathrooms"...this is freaking me out a little..does that mean nowhere to wash your hands even..I can live without showering but I'm pretty keen on hand hygiene.

Has anyone who is not really an animal person done this and loved it..I know that sounds insane but I'm normally a bit scared of animals but the videos I have seen look so amazing I really want to give it a go with my kids. I wondered if anyone else was slightly nervous or would it just be a stupid thing to do.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Audrey2

Click on the Things to Do thread on the left hand side.

You will be able to read other people's excellent reviews of their day spent here. I was undecided between here and Elephant Nature Park but after reading the reviews decided this would be an unforgetable experience.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on visiting Patara Elephant Farm

Hi,

We went to Patara earlier this month. It was the most expensive activity we did in Thailand. I don't know if the price is justified. But saying that I would highly recommend the day. It is an amazing day! They have put the day together very well. The lunch they supply is from the local villagers and is fantastic. We all still talk about this day.

We wore our swimmers under our clothes and honesty I think a singlet top ,shorts and flip flops are perfect. They supply long pants and tops.

We gave our mahouts a tip at the end of the day as they had been fantastic But after paying so much for the day it was hard to pay out more.

I must say we didn't know you paid at the end of the day and we were worried about the mahouts carrying our backpack which had our money for the day for 4 people.They never once opened our bags. They were very trustworthy.