We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The one and only Pad Thai

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
105 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
The one and only Pad Thai

Hello!

10 years ago I had the best food experience ever! I ate a Pad Thai at a vendor who only worked in the evenings and served Pad Thai in a banana leaf. This stall was well known. You could also write your name on one of the 'admiration walls' next to the stall. Many times I spoke about this wonderful Pad Thai food feast during my travels and I actually met many people who knew what I was talking about. I am going back to Chiang Mai next month and I just can't find any information about this stall anymore.

Help! Is this wonderful Pad Thai still availabe or vanished?

Thanks form a die hard Pad Thai lover!

Elles

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

No, PadThai has not vanished. It's still alive and well and living in Chiang Mai.....as a matter of fact, I just had some last night for my dinner from the little Pad Thai lady near my house. (well, kind of near..) She only is open after 5 PM, and even if you get there right at 5 you will have a wait in line...Yes, she is that good. There are many stalls that sell this delicious creation here in Chiang Mai, but the lady I use is near MacCormack Hospital and the Pyap U Nursing School. Enjoy....Marie (nannyre)

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

I will have to look around for it, sounds great. Do you know where the stall was close to? Night Bazaar, Inner city etc.

The shop I go to is right across the street from Chiang Mai Plaza hotel. You will know it when you see it as in front they sell Thai sweet and you will see bees in the glass compartment snacking on the sweets. Its right on the corner, you can't miss it.

I eat there every Sunday after church service. Living here for 20 years it has the best Phad Thai I have ever tasted. Crowded with Thais at lunch time but plenty of tables so no problem and quick service also.

Have fun,

Randy

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

Marie

What about that place that Paul goes to it is good, when we had that lunch with him he has a second helping.

Ed

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
105 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

Hi, well I broke my head over it. I even digged up my picture album from back then, and I was so disappointed, I thought I had a picture of the stall, but no!! I know that 10 years ago we had really much trouble finding it. I guess it's near more near the inner city, then night market, but I would not bet my life on it :-) I remember so well how excited I was beinig in Asia for the first time and everything was so overwhelming :-). But anyway I thank you all for the other tips. The hairdresser, Marie advises us to go in a hilarious posting and the beauty treatment you suggested in one of your postings, sounds lovely too. So what a great thing this forum is! You all the way there in Chiang Mai, me in Amsterdam preparing my holidays. I think this is so much (pre)fun. Elles

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

Please don't let this happen to you

www.phuketgazette.net/queernews/index.asp…

A particularly sad story. Jim

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
105 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

oooh god !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

I have eaten at venue across from the Chiangmai plaza many times..Great food..But they are Thai/Chinese..The Pad thai in the banana leaf sounds traditional..I have seen it around the moat in the old city..

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

I think that Paul took you to P'Dangs Ed. The little place near my house where you can sit down at tables to eat and it has a pretty extensive Northern Thai menu??? The Pad Thai place I'm talking about is about 5 min away, has no tables and your order is "carry away". The Pad Thai is served on a banana leaf that is wraped in paper and secured with....what else in Thailand???....an elastic band! Also, Pad Thai is all this woman makes. There is one place closer to my house that sells street food where I can get good Pad Thai for 20/B....but the place I posted about is even better! Marie (nannyre)

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

There is such a Pad Thai place here:

http://www.mapjack.com/?XAayUUGfac6C

in the soi 3 from Chiang Moi Road. Serve only in evening (the one way street, on the right hand side just after the white building), can take away in banana leaf, have yellow boards all over the walls with comments from customers.

Edited: 16 February 2010, 07:28
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
105 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The one and only Pad Thai

THAT"S THE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow I knew somebody could tell me where it is! Thank you so much.

All the other suggestions are great too, so I will not be hungry in Chiang Mai :-)