We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

just advising anyone travelling with air asia to double check your flights .

I had to go on to check if i had paid meals and found 4 of our flights have changed.

One changed from Kl to Chiang mai from 10 30 am to 7 am which means we all including 6 children have to get up at 4 am.

Just would have been nice to have been notified we go in two weeks and the changed flights change everything we had planned.

Good luck

Justnat

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

This is accepted wisdom and something we do as a matter of course.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Thanks for the heads up Nat.

We are flying in one week and our times have changed as well.

We now have 9 hours to fill in at the LCCT instead of 5!!!!!

Caroline.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

yes we paid for another set of flights so they could be connecting on our last day and would have had 4 hours in the LCCT now its 8 and a half.

Thanks again for tips I have printed them out and will buy a NC map when we arrive.

Justnat

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

[This is accepted wisdom and something we do as a matter of course]

Not sure what was meant by this but....

An email advising people of changes is just good manners.

Especially when people spend months and months organising holiday plans and pay for certain flights for particular reasons.

Justnat

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

"[This is accepted wisdom and something we do as a matter of course]

Not sure what was meant by this but...."

....what I meant was, do not travel before you confirm your flight times, both well in advance and then, closer to the date.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Yet once again, the above posts have reaffirmed my resolve NEVER to fly with a Budget airline again. I flew with Air Asia three times, the first two flights were OK if a little late in leaving and thus arriving. The third was inexplicably cancelled 90 minutes before departure time and we were put onto a wait list for the next flight, at the same time the following day.

It taught me a lesson - never ever rely on budget airlines to leave on time, arrive on time, or fly at all. To say nothing of lost luggage.

I lost an expensive set of golf clubs on the second Air Asia flight from Penang to Bangkok. Absolutely no help at the Bangkok airport - just a shrug of the shoulders and "mai pen rai". Yes, they were insured, but after 23 e-mails to Air Asia in KL did I get one reply - nope.

Fifteen phone calls from Melbourne to KL - sometimes hanging on for 30 minutes at international rates - and no one answering the phone.

I had to wait 13 months and engage the services of a KL law firm before they would forward the form that I had to have for the insurance claim.

Budget airlines are like everything else "budget" in this commercial world - you get what you pay for!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

The AA flight times from KL to Chiang Mai have been the same for years. They have one flight a day and this is the first time it's changed for at least three years. On the upside, at least we get into Chiang Mai earlier and don't lose a day - but yes, that 4am wake up is going to hurt.

Nat it might help to know that we had a perfect flight with AA over and back from KL last time. The plane was brand new and on the way back everyone was on board and it actually left 15 mins early! We had no complaints at all.

An email would have been good - we may still get one because this change has only just happened. I printed out a copy of our booking a few days ago and it has changed since then.

The only thing to remember Nat is that 4am is really 6am or 7am local Aus time. I always find I wake up extremely early the first few days in Asia because of the few hours time difference.

Caroline.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 05:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Amazing that you post this thread as just yesterday i wrote this on another thread for Krabi. So i dont have to retype , here is a copy & paste of what i said yesterday below.

When me and my mum were traveling in thailand in feb we had morning flights booked to go to chang mai via BKK , at the time i booked them you could not fly direct as you can now. Anyway one morning 2 days before we were due to fly we were checking our e mails in the morning , my mum only NOT ME had a e mail from them sent a day before telling her ( not on my e mail ) that the morning 9.05 flight was CXL and she was to take a 06.05 flight instead, so that would mean rising at around 04.30 to get to the airport in time, but not only that drama but the fact she only recived a email and not me. It was only the fact that i was traveling with her i found this out , otherwise i would have rocked up at the 9.05 time !

Then we said stuff that early rise and rebooked two other new flights going direct to chang mai as now we could fly that way. When we arrived at the airport for the new 10.30 flight they had no record of our details and would not give us a boarding pass even though we had a print out of the transaction and credit card charge with us !!!!

So we had to pay again for new tickets ( the 3rd time i might add ) and then we at last made it to CM !

So even if you do all you can you might still be stuffed around .

Aus
Level Contributor
142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Hi,

Not good to hear - but on the other side, my flight from Chiang Mai has been changed by 20 mins dep time. I not only got an email but I also got a text message to my mobile to inform me of the flight change. I cant knock that.

Hopefully my flights with them (3x) go smoothly. Fingers crossed.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone travelling with Air Asia to check your flights..

Just so everyone is clear about their rights - if your flight time has changed and you are not happy with the change, you can call AA and change your flight to a different time/day at no extra charge. You do not have to rebook flights they will do this for you or pay the difference in fare. There is now a priority call centre phone number on their web page. This deal only applies when they change/cancel the flight time - not when you just change your mind.

I follow the KL forums pretty closely and lots of people do this when there is a flight change.

In the case of a CM to KL flight - there is only one flight a day. Your only real option is to change to the day before if you are not happy. This isnt as stupid as it seems because (in our case at least) it could mean an overnight in KL at a nice hotel and then getting to the airport in time to check in.... as opposed to hanging around the airport for nine hours.

Caroline.