We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

eden australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

We had 4 nights in Chiang Mai at the end of March with our two daughters aged 11 and 16. We then travelled to phuket for 12 nights and all of us decided that Chiang Mai was our favourite place and we should have had more days here (as much as we love the water also). This was my husband and my second trip to Chiang Mai but a first in Thailand for the girls.

We stayed at the Baan Orapin (thanks trip advisor forums) and loved it. Opas picked us up after an epic trip from Eden, Australia. All exhausted we arrived and fell in to bed. Opas had organised a taxi for us the next morning and so we were promptly picked up by Seth (sp?) and he was fantastic. We went to The umbrella village, Silkworm and pottery places and then to the Tiger Kingdom and Doi Suthep. We all loved the whole day but the highlight for the girls was playing with the 7 month old tiger cubs. We found this place to be clean and the animals appeared to be very well cared for. That night we went for massages and dinner at the night market area. we ate at one of the little cafe places all in a row and had a fantastic meal. The girls were beside themselves with the shopping and exhausted even the best of shoppers (me!).

Following day I had booked a trip with Siphon and pretty well made my own itinerary. I was expecting for there to be just us on this trip and was suprised to find two more on the bus. This worked out Ok as they were a great couple but for the money I had paid I did expect a private tour.

Siphon was good, I wouldnt rave about him personally but the trip he took us on was brilliant. Peter and I had previously done a trip just booked in an agency for about $30 each and this was so, so much better. we paid nearly $300AUD for 4 of us so quite a difference in price.

We went to Doi Inthanon National Park, on the way we stopped at local markets, went bamboo rafting and elephant riding. The rafting was great fun, the water clear and clean ( our previous trip the water was awful, smelly and gross) ( a different part of Chiang Mai tho ) and the locals on the side of the river also enjoyed getting us wet. The elephant riding was a bit disappointing but the girls enjoyed the experience. It is such a rough ride and the area was hilly, we spent all our time trying to stay on the elephant.

On to Doi Inthanon, the twin pagodas and gardens were breathtaking, then we 'trekked' down throgh waterfalls and beautiful scenery to a village. It was an easy 1 and a half hour walk, pretty much all down hill so no whingieng from the kids.

The village was great, an authentic working village, not like the previous fake one we had been taken to,we had freshly grown and ground coffee here and chatted to the locals. With Siphons help of course. We watched the sunset over the hills here, it was lovely

Back in the bus and as it was on dark, we quickly visited another waterfall and headed home. It was a long day, but was so enjoyable. We really felt that we had seen some real Thailand. (this was my fourth trip). Skipped dinner, we were exhausted.

Our last day was spent walking around the Moat area and just joy riding in tuk tuks. The girls loved the tuk tuks. We had lunch at the Riverside restaurant, food was ok but the service was appalling.We also went to Saturday Walking markets (we were leaving Sunday morning and would miss the sunday ones) These were the best markets I have been to. The Sunday ones must be brilliant. We bought so much stuff, Peter was having heart failure.

Dinner was at the markets again, back to the same little place. Great food.

Sunday morning while Peter packed I walked over to the Woratot (sp?) markets and had a browse. This was fun but I was seriously worried about getting lost and not finding my way back in time to get to the airport. It is an ongoing maze over a couple of blocks.

Then, sadly, off to the Airport. Chiang Mai, you havn't seen the last of us.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,045 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Thank you so much for posting this. Great trip report.

So many people limit their time in Chiang Mai and spend much longer at the beach. You live and learn hey. There is so much to see and do and coming from Australia I think we are so spoilt for the beach time we get. We now fly directly up Nth and spend all of our time there.

Glad you love The Baan Orapin. I dream about that place - just beautiful and wonderful grounds for kids. Did you see the white rabbit hopping around the grounds. We saw it the night before Easter and our youngest sons eyes nearly popped out of his head.

I can not believe you paid $300A for that trip and didn't have the guide to yourselves. Unbelievable. A tip for those booking private guides to be very clear that this is what they expect. (although you wouldn't think you would need to do that).

I've posted your trip report up under the 2010 trip reports in the FAQ section.

Thanks again,

Caroline.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Insulbarb:

That was more than "a try." Great job and thanks for taking the time to do the trip report.

I too prefer to spend more time in the north now too. I have done the beaches and always find myself wishing I were back in northern Thailand.

Wonderful report.

Broder

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Thank you for sharing your trip report Insulbarb

Chang Mai and it surrounding areas are very beautiful.

Have done all the normal tour visiting places.

I now have to find more places to visit.

Ed

Greensborough...
Level Contributor
432 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Great trip report!

I'm back in CM in 2 weeks - can't wait!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Wow, I'm in shock, $300.00 Aud for 4 !!! Could I ask where you found this tour guide Siphon.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,045 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Unfortunately Rosli - he is on our FAQ recommended Tour Guides.

I can not believe that price - and then to have to share the tour makes it even worse.

Caroline.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Hummmmmmmmmmm, this costing and feedback may backfire.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Great trip report but like everyone else dismayed to hear how much you paid for your tour with Siphon. At the very least if you had another couple join you they should have just shared the total cost of what you were paying..

I have done that previously with Tong in Bangkok , allowing others to join my private tour in order to meet new people and share the costs.

9. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 17:19
Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights in Chiang Mai- a quick report ( I tried )

Elephant Nature Park does GREAT work and do not try to rip people off... where exactly did you get that information from??