We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hi, each time I travel overseas with my children aged 7/9 years we take a bag of books, pencils, pens, clothes to donate to a charity in the country we will travel to. I am looking for someone at a local chairity in Chiang Mai to contact and make a donation next month. Any charity contacts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lisa

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hi Lisa,

Have a look at this web page.

http://www.hffcm.org/en/main.php

There is an organisation called the Healing Family Foundation in Chiang Mai. It is a group of families with disabled children who have formed a foundation. The children come to a basic building during the day and they are taught skills like drawing and weaving. They have a tiny shop where you can buy some of the things they make.

When we were there at Easter we visited with our children and took large pads of art paper. This was appreciated. The children will talk to you and they will show you a short video on how the foundation was formed and what they are achieving with the kids. It is very moving and inspirational. The children also wanted to show us a couple of new dances they had learned - which was a lot of fun.

We only stayed about forty-five mins - but it was wonderful.

I am sure if you have some drawing materials to give they will be used and much appreciated here.

The children are there four days a week - so just check on their web page to make sure you don't turn up on the day they are not in. It is either Monday or Friday?

I think the directions are on the web page - but I can give you detailed directions if you are interested. It is in a small soi that runs away from the river almost directly opposite the Pink Tea House (Vieng Joom On). As mentioned check the web page for a small map and address.

Caroline.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Another very worthwhile place to donate is Agape House (http://www.nikkisplace.org/) If you have never visited or had the chance to interact with the wonderful children and staff there I hope that you will check their official web site and learn about some of the history behind this very much needed venue. It's my favorite place to donate time, gifts or money here in Chiang Mai.... Marie (nannyre)

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

I know there's a new orphanage near Thaton that has over 500 children that are really in need. To find out more please contact All Thai, he is another member on this forum, and has a lot of information regarding this organisation.

I know whoever you give your donation to it will be greatly appriciated.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hi Coxie,

The home has over 50 not 500. I am sure it was just a typo. We also help an orphanage in Lamphun and another of preschool children in Mae Chem. Thanks for the post.

See the video of the homes in Lamphun at tripadvisor.com/ProfileGallery-i23835242.html

Cheers,

Randy

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hello,

Can you please give me an idea of what things we could bring to donate? What is really needed the most?

Thanks

Lisa

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hello,

Can you please let me know what things are in need of the most? What things would be good to bring as donations?

Lisa

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Hi - Hoping Randy will answer you with some suggestions. Just following up on my suggestion. The drawing things you describe will be very much appreciated by the Healing Family Foundation. However, you might decide to visit one of the other options here. If so, you can always just drop in to the Healing Family Foundation and buy a few things from their little shop to support them. A number of forum members have done this over the last 12 months and really enjoyed it.

Caroline.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Any school supplies would be fine or school backpacks which you can purchase here very cheap. If you can best to call visit first and ask what they need the most. I always call first. We have supplied things such as a water cooler, freezer, computer, fans, blankets, pillows, iron, clothes, shoes, school supplies and uniforms.

Thanks for wanting to help.

Randy

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

I am packed and almost ready to go. I have a bag of clothes, note/ writing books and pens etc to donate. Would this be useful at the moment?

Can I please also get your address and phone number.

Lisa

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donations to a charity in Chiang Mai......

Your gifts will be welcome any time. I sent you an email with the information you requested.

Thank you for your giving heart.

Randy