We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to CM Sunday market?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to CM Sunday market?

I t looks like we will miss the Sunday evening market, is there any other comparable market you would recommend to visit?

thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,901 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

The only other thing is the Saturday night market. Not as big - but still worth going to. If you go to the Chiang Mai gate of the old city you will find the market. It is in this area Saturday late afternoon and evening.

Otherwise - if you are not there on a Saturday... we found some of the stall holders from the Sunday night walking street market have stalls at the back of Anusarn Market. Anusarn is a section in the market that runs each night. It is set off the street. If you walk through right to the back you will find more of the hand made type stalls.

Caroline.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

I totally don't mean to hijack this post, but the answer (depending) may help the OP.

Someone (somewhere) had recommended to me the "Kalare Night Bazaar" ... when is this run?

Sorry, I don't know what is sold there so I have no idea if it will be of assistance ... but I thought I'd meniton it just in case (I will not be there for the Sunday Market either, so I had been asking around for suggestions too).

Edited: 12 October 2010, 00:10
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,901 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

Hi Seaflowers.

Kalare is a section of the main night market than runs each night along Chang Klan Road. Kalare is off the street and includes lots of stalls (some more upmarket) and a lovely food court. There is a stage there and they often have Thai dancing. It is a nice area to wander around. This area is almost directly opposite the night market building (across the road).

Caroline.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

This is just my personal opinion, so please don't go nuts on me here people, but, if you miss the Sunday Walking Street you can purchase the same-same at the Night Bazaar any evening of the week or you can purchase the same-same (perhaps for less???) by taking a ride out to Sankampang. But, I do agree with Caroline with her information that the Saturday Walking Street (Sillver Street) is about the closest you will come to the Sunday market. Hope this helps some. Marie (nannyre)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

thank you lovely ladies for the replies!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

If you missed the Sunday markets in ChiangMai, you lose nothing. To be frank, every tourists would like to visit any country's markets as possible. And the night bazzar of ChiangMai too.

You can go for a stroll, but I can tell you, the stalls selling things exactly what the sold 10 years ago. I personally find it nothing to shout for but as a tourists, it's worth going for a walk.

Try to visit the Warorot Market (KAD LUANG) , you will find similar things there and it's definitely cheaper. Buy some fruits, snack, grilled meat etc. It's a local market and there are several shops that sell thing what the night bazaar sells!!! Visit my Chiangmai blog to see what it might looks like in Warorot, hope it helps! http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/search?q=warorot+market

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,901 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

This is from a tourist perspective - so read it that way.

I find the Sunday Night Market totally different from Wororat or the Night Bazzar. I rarely buy anything at Wororat, but love the fresh fruit and flowers. The things I have bought there include bolts of Thai fabric (beautiful) and supplies for our sponsor child (towels, blankets etc).

I find the Sunday Night Walking Street Market does not have all the copy stuff that fills markets all over Asia. There are far more young people sitting selling things they have made themselves. Things like - beautiful photographs by one of our own DE's Lanna Focus, little girls with necklaces they are sitting beading. I bought a one off top by a young girl who had made four to sell that night. Hand made leather phone covers, little mats made from 'yo yo's' all hand stitched, hand made bags, portrait artists who do a 100B portrait in half an hour. A beautiful table cloth I use all the time that a mother and her daughter had made that day (and they were sitting making another one at the market). Crocheted toys, hair clips etc.

Now, I know I see things through the tourist eye - but at the Night Bazzar there are lots of the same same things you see all over the place. There are some hand made things, but a lot of mass produced cushion covers, table runners, T.Shirts, copy rip offs etc.

If you can't get to the Sunday night market, I recognised some of the stall holders who I saw at the Sunday market right at the back of Anusarn - other wise cruise the local villages and see what you can find.

I always go for the hand made and can spot it a mile off.

Have fun.

Caroline.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,608 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

In my opinion, the Sunday nite market is a fun way to people watch and spend some time browsing and snacking, and buying of knick knacks, but it's not really a great place to actually buy great things. Although I did spend an entire 6 hour period at the night market when I was there last month, and found some cute impulse buys, I am a serious shopper and I usually find my "real" buys at regular stores. I highly recommend Anusarn Market, at the very end...past the little set up tables. Friends of mine have a hilltribe shop (they are Akha and came to Chiang Mai to set up their business years ago) and their business is not very busy at all...even though they sell great things. Their customers used to be the wholesale buyers but there are not so many nowadays, and tourists seem to want small inexpensive things.

I also like Warorot Market and buy those beautiful denim farmers tops for very good prices. The streets just south of the market are full of wonderful shops seling terrific handmade things as well. Chiang Mai has a a lot of wonderful shopping, not just in the tourist markets.

You might also check out the Nancy Chandler map for ideas on different stores and areas to try.

The Flat...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

Sounds nice Caroline - just added to my LIST !

G.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to CM Sunday market?

thank you all for the detailed opinions, we just love to see different markets, are not much into shopping, but enjoy watching the buzz, people, set ups