We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Still in the early stages of my 19 day itinerary planning, 5 or 6 or which will be for the north/center. Not a big fan of long day travels.

So far this is what I plan

BKK --- flight - Chiang Mai (3-4night) ---car/bus---Pai/Sukhorhai (1n?) ---flight to Phuket from CM.

Potential places on my list:

- Pai (just for relaxing and scenery, not big on trekking)

- Sukhothai (by bus or flight?). Probably overnight. Better to fly from BK?

- Doi Ithanon National Park (for sceneray). Day trip or overnight?

This will be at the end of December. So I guess unlikely to unwind in front of a pool?

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Hi -

There are lots of things to do in and around Chiang Mai city. It's great value and a city that is small and easy to get around. Allow some time to wander and explore.

Here is a link to some of our favorite things to do. It's from the FAQ on the right hand side of this page - top 20.

tripadvisor.com/…25730909

Have fun planning. 19 days in Thailand is fantastic.

Caroline.

Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Patara elephant farm!

check the reviews!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Make the effort to go beyond Pai, and visit Mae Hong Song, a unique and beautiful small town, which is much more interesting than Pai.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Not sure if you are talking about visiting CM and the North for a total of 6 days, but if you're looking for a unique "view" of the North of Thailand, have the time and you are used to riding a motorbike you might want to think about doing the Mae Hong Son loop.........just beautiful and a photo opportunity at every curve.......but if you're here in rainy season, or not used to travel on a bike perhaps not a good idea. Enjoy! Marie (nannyre)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Agree with the Mae Hong Song recommendations.

Also, are you at all interested in an overnight 2-3 day hilltribe trek? I've done a few in the Chiang Mai area, including Doi Inthanon.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

Hi there,

Thanks for all the replies. So a few comments

- No used to motocycles, so won't try it. Instead rent a car & driver

- Will be traveling last week of december.

- No a big fan of trekking

- Trying to minimize time on the road.

This being said , I am thinking of the following

CM (3 days) --- Fly --- Mae Hing Song (1-2 days?) --- drive ---Pai (1-2 n?) --- Fly (direct from CM at 12:40PM) ---Phuket

so

1) Does this make sense? number of nights too?

2) Should I focus on Doi Inthanon instead, or I have my priorities straight? Can/should it be done as a day trip?

3) Thinking about day tripping at Lamphun. Do the national parc instead?

You insight is much appreciated!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

I'll address what I'm familiar with.

I rented a vehicle the first time I visited Doi Inthanon and enjoyed a sufficiently rewarding experience on a day trip (although I did return years later for a 3-day trek there). Car and driver would be more relaxing than worrying about the driving. Up to the individual.

Doing a 1-day trip to Inthanon would leave you more time for Chiang Mai. I'm sure you've done your research on CM. I love Doi Suthep and have been 4 times now on separate visits. When I took a vehicle up (as opposed to walking up) it was about a 3 to 4-hour adventure, including taxi to/from Night Bazaar area, and time at the mountain/wat.

Flew to Mae Hong Son and took a boat ride to the Long Neck Village. Morning arrival in MHS, departing the next day. Decided to fly after reading stories about the grueling several-hour drive. I was on a tight schedule for that side trip, but still enjoyed MHS.

Local friends I know went to Pai a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Have not been there myself but it's on my list.

I've not been to Lamphun.

Hopefully others can assist further.

8. Re: 5-6 days in the north/center. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 07:16