We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temples - with real Monks?

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Temples - with real Monks?

Hi There,

Please can anyone advise of a temple where real monks reside?

I know this seems like a silly question and hopefully the response will be that all Temples have monks! But i really want to have the opportunity to visit a Temple and see/meet real Monks.

I grew up watching soooo many movies with monks and have always wanted to experience a visit to a temple - the traquility and harmonious life they lead.

So any suggestions help would be very helpful!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Hi,

In Chiang Mai all the temples have monks, so take your pick... just remember the rules of etiquette when meeting or interacting with them. Incidently, you'll find "Monk Chat" places at some temples like Chedi Luang where you can chat to monks and novices

cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Yes the monks in all temples are "real"! No cardboard cutouts! Remember that temples are working religious communities, but you will often find a monk who can spend a little time chatting.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Also remember to look, talk, but not touch (if you are female).

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Great thanks!

Yes i am a lady so won't be touching any Monks, as much as I'd like to! Check if they're real! :P

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

LOL Thanks Helly you've given me a belly full of giggles...

You will love the temples of Thailand - amazingly they are all full of monks!

But seriously now I've been reading some of these forums for a while and you may be interested in another part of the Thai monks life - "Glving Alms" is a daily ritual where the local people give the Monks "gifts" of foods, incense, money atc. If your an early riser you might like to check it out - sounds amazing. You can read more if you click in this link - it will take you to info already posted from "Chelle's" about her travels and great experiences...

tripadvisor.com/…29281717

Edited: 03 March 2011, 23:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Maybe not such a silly question.

In some other Asian countries, they have men posing as monks.

Scaming the stupid tourists.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Yes, the temples here do have real monks. Actually, you will find that most of the male population here in Thailand at one time or another have been monks. They do this for many reasons: 1) Their family can not afford to educate, feed or clothe them and they become a novice for three months or sometimes much longer. (I actually know a fellow who became a novice/monk at the age of 10. He has now been a monk for four years after 10 years of being a novice) 2) The family has a funeral or a wedding and they send their sons to be novices in order for the family to "make merit" 3) It's the beginning of Buddhist Lent and many young men feel that they must make merit, so they join for the Lenten period.

So, yes, the temples have real monks and these monks are usually very happy to get a chance to practice their English skills by chatting with visitors. Also, the morning "merit making" is very interesting and makes a nice beginning to an early morning visit to the Doi Suthep Temple. I think there are several guides listed on the FAQ page who do this kind of tour as a part of a day tour itinerary.

Have fun in Chiang Mai....and enjoy visiting the temples and chatting with the "real - live - honest to goodness monks"!!! Marie (nannyre)

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Monks in temples are real monks. But keep in mind monks are humans and they have various characters -- some are good, some not so.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

This made me laugh because it reminded me of the wax monk in the White Temple near Chiang Rai. He looks so incredibly real that we stared at him for at least 15 minutes to see if he moved. He was still there 18 months later - so I pretty sure he is NOT real - however the jury is still out.

Caroline.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temples - with real Monks?

Thank you all so much for your responses! Will be very helpful!

Really looking forward to it! :)