We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

Is the handicraft village worth it? We would love to buy some authentic arts and crafts, but am wondering if the village is just a tourist trip?

Hot Spring - worth it?

Thanks!

Go With Me Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Chiangmai - Merrytravel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

Chiang Mai is surrounded by numbers of villages - each specializes in a different handicraft.

Baan Tawai is a very popular village or wood carving but they have far more including some nice ceramics. A lovely place for a wander.

Bor Sang is the umbrella village where you can see the entire process of the famous thai umbrellas being made. Ban Ton Po is the paper village right near Bor Sang. There are also many many places along the San Kampaeng Rd selling all kinds of handicrafts.

Is it worth it? Only you can make that call - personally we love it.

Caroline.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

I think you mean: Sankampaeng Hot Springs. I've been there. The Hot Spring is a bit of a drive. Once you arrive and walk down a winding path there is a stall that sells eggs. You can buy an egg in a basket on site to boil in the water. It's a large pool full of boiling Hot Spring water. There weren't many people there when I went. It's a bit boring. You have to entertain yourself. I wouldn't bother.

The Umbrella Factory is a small place but none the less very worth while... There's a small covered area outside a building where artists paint umbrellas and pound the pulp into paper. *Take a fanny pack or wallet or belt... anything leather and pick an artist to paint a decal on it for a small fee (50 Baht I think?) They will do this while you watch. Fast drying paint. This was entertaining. It was very cool watching them make an umbrella from scratch and fun to take away a personal souvenir.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 04:06
Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

If you drive east out of town on Sankampaeng Road towards the Hot Springs, then there are various wholesale outlets and showrooms along the strip - not sure about a specific handicraft village in this area. If there was, we didn't see it. The Sankampaeng Hot springs themselves are some distance away and we found them a little boring and uninteresting. A lot of locals seem to love this place which was OK but it was a little dirty, slippery and very, very hot - not something you need in the sun and humidity of the day. Having said that, the botanical gardens that surround the springs are delightful and if you are into that sort of thing, worth a visit for that reason. Apparently there are some nearby caves too but despite seeing the signs we couldn't find them.

4. Re: Handicraft Village and Hot Spring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 21:19