We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is? "Not the fake" stuff at the stadiums or the building next to Top North Hotel.

I was told the solder's office (about 15 minutes from Top North Hotel) but I don't have the address?

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Go to the Kawila Boxing stadium across from Sanpakoi market. Matches are on Friday evening beginning around 8 PM. I took video of match last year. See videos Part 1 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4d2k0MI2Wg and part 2 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988pdykX02Q

Cheers,

Randy

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

There was a fire at Kawila a while ago. I'm pretty sure it's still closed and I've been told it may not reopen until late August. So, I'm afraid the only one you could go to right now is near Thapae. Just tell your driver the Muay Thai near Thapae and you won't have any problems. Marie (nannyre)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

The one at Thapae Gate is fake. ...I know for fact.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 04:52
Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

OK.... I was simply answering your initial question by saying that the venue (Kawila) I would suggest and that Randy was also suggesting had a fire..... Thought that perhaps you would appreciate knowing it was closed before you got there expecting a great Muay Thai night out..... Marie (nannyre)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Thanks anyways. It's not that I don't appreciate it. ...I don't usually go where the tourists go for Muay Thai for good reason. I am familiar with someone who sets up the pre-arranged matches. (I know the Thai who runs the bets at Thapae Gate. - This is the white building beside Top North Hotel.)

I love Muay Thai but it's important to see it real as this person tainted it for me.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 23:18
Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Next time I go to Sanpakoi market I will go and look and get info about the matches.

Cheers,

Randy

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Thanks Randy!

....That's what I've been waiting for.

PS. I read your posts and I know you're bang on! (re:Long Necks)

Cheers!

Toffee

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

Just talked with the people at Kawila army camp boxing stadium. It seams the fire was arson done by competing boxing venues. The inside was burned but not the total structure. They are rebuilding the inside making it nicer with better seating, bathrooms and concession area. This is probably a blessing of sorts and the inside was very unattractive, old and needed a face lift. They didn't give me a date of when it will reopen but said at least 6 months or so probably around November from what i was told. For now i would see the matches in Bangkok.

Thanks Toffee for the Bang-on about the Paduang Long Neck reply I made.

Cheers,

Randy

9. Re: Anyone Know Where "Real" Muay Thai Boxing is?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 23:17