We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

Singapore
Level Contributor
473 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

I've been to Hatyai and they sell good and cheap suckling pig, is there any in Chiang Mai too? And what other food that are famous in Chiang Mai? I'm staying in Le Meridien, is it far from those riverside restaurants?

MaeHongSon
Level Contributor
250 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

Chiang Mai is a Asian/Thai food lovers heaven. There's plenty of variety as Chiang Mai is a mix of cultures, this is reflected in the food.

There are so many restaurants to choose from, Chinese dishes, muslim, northern thai, central Thai food, as well as international food (Japanese, Korean, Italian etc), you will be spoilt for choice.

Chiang Mai offers great quality food at great prices.

In Chiang Mai you should try northern Thai dishes such as

- Chiang Mai sausage

- Khao Soi (yellow egg noodles in a thick curry sauce soup)

- 'Huen Phuen' restaurant is the place to try these local northern Thai foods

Have fun,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

Stop it, you're making me hungry...!!

We are going to Chiang Mai in November for 3 nights so thank you for the the info.

Are food prices around the same in Chiang Mai as they would be in, say, Phuket, please?

(sorry to jump in on your thread, SmurfSingapore. Hope you don't mind)

Monkey6870

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

I love the food in Chiang Mai, and I second the suggestions for Khao Soi noodles and also Huen Phen restaurant.

Le Meridien is right next to the Night Market, which is not too far from the restaurants on the river, but personally I don't think they are so interesting.

I love the little snacks that are on sale at the Chiang Mai Gate market in the evenings. There is a pumpkin cake-like tidbit that is to die for. Also Mien Kam, the snack that is wrapped in a betel leaf and contains toasted shredded coconut, a piece of lime, dried shrimp and palm sugar. I think food is very inexpensive in Chiang Mai, but the more touristic the restaurant is, the less interesting and more expensive it gets. (just my opinion)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

Food is generally cheaper in Chiang Mai than Phuket.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

yes you must try KHOSOI and KANOM JEAN(white noodle with pork mince tomato base similar to spaghetti)

ENJOY

Singapore
Level Contributor
473 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

How do I go to 'Huen Phuen' from Le Meridien? And is the seafood at the Anusan night market good? How long do I have to walk to this market from my hotel?

MaeHongSon
Level Contributor
250 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

Food prices in Phuket are approximately 10-30% more expensive than Chiang Mai. Generally speaking everything in Phuket is more expensive, I suppose the land rental prices are higher there so businesses need to cover this cost. The Meridien is right by the night market area, so I would say about 5-10 mins walk.

For Huen Phuen you might want to take a tuktuk, drivers should know where it is as its very popular .Here's a fun article I like about Huen Phuen

restaurantwhore.com/2005/06/northern-delight…

The quality of food is also better in Chiang Mai (especially in local restaurants) and dishes somehow taste better, not sure why this is, maybe fresher ingredients?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

'Huen Phuen' is about a 13 minute Tuk Tuk ride into Old City from Anusarn Market & Night Bazaar. Suan Dok Gate is too far to walk from downtown.

Huen Phen Restaurant is located at 112 Ratchamanka Rd; which is the main street inside Tha Phae Gate. Unfortunately it is at the end of Ratchamanka Rd; so it's way too far to walk from Anusarn Market and Night Bazaar area. Suan Dok Gate would be the best pont of entry. Huen Phen is walking distance from Suan Dok Gate near Wat Phra Singh. You can buy a Nancy Chandler Map of Chiang Mai at any of the book stores there (or online) to get an idea of where it is.

Old City is surrounded by a moat. There are 4 entrance gates into Old City....

Tha Phae Gate

Suan Dok Gate - opposite end to Tha Phae Gate

Chiang Nai Gate

Chang Puak Gate

If you are in Chiang Mai on a Sunday there is Walking Street just inside Tha Phae Gate from 6pm to midnight. This road is lined with street stalls for a few miles. It's way better than Anusarn Market & Night Bazaar. The Temple grounds will be set up - full of food vendors. You can walk into the Temple grounds and have delicious street food.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 07:07
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

OOPS! Spelling error - Chaing Mai Gate not Chiang Nai Gate. This gate is to the left of Tha Phae Gate as you face Tha Phae Gate from the moat side.

This area is the cheapest area, colorful & easiest to walk to from downtown. You can walk to Thae Phae Gate from the night Bazaar; takes about 20 minutes. Thae Phae is very central and it faces the night market. It takes a bit of re-routing for tuk tuk and taxis to get into Tha Phae because of one way traffic regulations surrounding the moat. Popular guest houses and budget hotels, fish spa, & cafes, are in this area. Chiang Mai Gate is also a good area.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 07:26
10. Re: What food to look out for in Chiang Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:19