We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

Norwich, Norfolk
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

My partner and I are looking to go to Northern Thailand for 4 nights on our honeymoon next year. I love elephants so am looking for somewhere we can stay where we can easily do an elephant experience.

We are looking for 5* hotels and have so far been quoted for the Chedi Chiang Mai and the Anantara Golden Triangle.

Does anyone have any advice on where is the best place for honeymooners or any other hotel ideas?

Many Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,126 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

It is hard to answer this because it really depends on what you are wanting out of your holiday.

Both Anantara and The Chedi are amazing places to stay and it is impossible to say one over the other.

The question is - do you want to go to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

Only you can decide that.

Maybe check out the FAQ - top 20 on this CM forum and the FAQ - top 30 on the CR forum (top right hand side of this page). It will give you ideas of things you can do in each place and it might help you decide.

In summary - Chiang Mai is bigger and has more to do in the city itself. The Chedi is centrally located, so easy strolling to restaurants, bars, city sights etc. It is modern Thai 5 star luxury.

Some of the best things about CR are the day trips and the countryside - hill tribes etc. Rather than the city itself. It is much smaller but still has a charm.

You can have an elephant experience in both places.

All the best with your decision.

Caroline.

ps. you have picked a good part of the world for your honeymoon.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

wow, hard call :).

Chiang Mai is bigger and has a lot to do around the city whereas Chiang Rai offers more in regards to day trips and stuff outside of the city.

I suggest looking around here and on the net to see what you want to do, I would settle for one or the other as both have a lot of charm to them...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

I posted a reply on the Chiang Rai forum in regards to the options for accommodations for a honeymoon in the Chiang Rai area.

As to which area is best for a honeymoon, follow Carolyn's suggestion to look at the "Top 20" and "Top 30" lists on the Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai forum respectively. Both are in the upper right hand corner of the forum pages under "FAQ's".

Broder

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

My vote would be Chiang Mai. The Chedi is awesome. There is so much to do in CM. elephants to ride, tiger Park villages, amazing night market, Doi Suthep, and so much more

5. Re: Chiang Mai vs Chiang Rai or somewhere inbetween?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:18