We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

Which of these places most resembles what im looking for:

Laid back picturesque settings, ideal for riding a scooter along country side, perhaps a waterfall or two.. Nice cafe/bars for some beer etc...

Any ideas? Just for a couple days...

Thanks a lot!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

IMO Mae Hong Son is well worth the little extra effort, and its a unique town. I've never really understood what attracts people to Pai, which is a very small place with some nice scenery but nothing on a par with Mae Hong Son. You certainly can't compare Pai with Chiangrai which is a bigger and much busier place, but ideal as a base for exploring the surrounding areas of Chiangrai province.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

I haven't been to Pai, but if you want some info on things to do in and around Chiang Rai, consider going to the Chiang Rai forum and in the FAQ section of the upper right hand corner of the page and click on the link for "My Top 30" list.

Chiang Rai is a city of about 35,000 to 40,000 people. It has several waterfalls outside the city and lots of countryside. I would not call the town itself a picturesque setting but there are some very lovely picturesque villages and towns around Chiang Rai (within 15 to 20 minutes).

Have you considered Mae Salong? It is about 1.5 hours from Chiang Rai and is quite picturesque, as it sits at the top of the mountain.

Safe Travels,

Broder

whitchurch...
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

Pai fits your requirments to a tee, live music bars, wide selection of eataries, stunning countryside, and well priced trekking/tours.

Low milage scooter with insurance 200 baht per day from AYA rental.

Save your elephant riding until you get to Pai, 400 baht per hour, great fun.

Drive to Cave Lod, fantastic views of picturesque hilltribe farming.

Wat Chan by the old road for peace, and remoteness.

People watch/eat at witching well or the restaurant next door, can't remember the name at the moment.

You say your looking for somewhere for a couple of days, leave your itinerary open, I bet that you will stay longer.

As Tony says people are attracted to Pai, couldn't agree more.

Enjoy Thailand where ever you chose to stay.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

agreed with Johnsblogs, Pai is for you (and the caves in Soppong too)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

Thanks a lot... I think I'll go with pai

I am planning on renting a car to get there is my best option to rent it at the airport from Avis or other reputable source? (I'm only going for one night so it's not worth the 2500 per way I would have to pay...)

whitchurch...
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

www.northwheels.com straight honest family business.

One night is not enough to fully appreciate the charms of Pai try to find more time.

Enjoy.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

I agree with Johnsblogs and Doctremblay, go to Pai.......jump on a scooter and get into the countryside, the scenery is quite breath taking.

I was lucky as the gentleman who operates the small airport in Pai is the brother of a Thai friend and he took us to two quite superb Thai restaurants, and took us on a tour of the area, including the " Love " area, the ethnic Chinese village, the main local temple and a spectacular waterfall. I'm short on detail and long on memories of that trip as for a change I could just be a passenger, I'll try to get the accurate details from my Thai contacts and I'll post them later.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

You can get a bus to Pai. Pai much more the go than Chiang Rai which is just another massive city. But -one night, really??? It takes about 4 to 5 hours to get there from Chiang Mai. But there are lots of places to scoot around to in the area and does have music/ nightlife. night market, Make sure you arent there in Thai holiday season as it becomes packed since they filmed a mini-series there. The rest of the time it's a chilled out place. Mae Hong Son also great.

9. Re: Pai vs Chiang Rai vs ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:16