We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Hello guys how are you?

I would like to know how many days you think I should spend just walking around Chiang Mai city, considering I dont have a lot of days to see the region and Im heading to Chiang Rai after that. I mean, do you know if there´s something really special and unique in this city or should I just use it as a base to explore its surroundings?

Thank you!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Its a wonderful small city. The old city is surrounded by a moat and city walls and is ideal for exploring on foot over 2-3 days. There are 2 night markets as well, plus many sights outside the old city, in the the 'new' city. Plenty of trips available into Chiangmai province too.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

My own list of must-sees:

The city itself - night markets, Wat Phra Singh

Around the city - Doi Suthep, "umbrella village"

I think 2 days should be sufficient...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

It's a wonderful city to explore - from the little local markets to the wonderful coffee shops, little tucked away restaurants and second hand bookshops (with books from all over the world). Lots to see and do in CM city and the immediate surrounds.

How much time you spend depends on how much you have. You could plant yourself there for weeks - or see the main things in two or three days.

As mentioned above the old city is surrounded by a moat and crumbling old walls. There are over 300 temples in CM so visually interesting.

Have fun.

Caroline.

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Hi there, we just spent 7 days there and we found that to be sufficient to see most things. We would have ventured out further if we had had longer. It is a beautiful old city and just so relaxing and great at night as there are so many lovely restaurants and bars to sit and watch the locals. I hope it stays like this and isn't ruined by masses of tourists. A very special place currently unspoilt!

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Guys, you really helped me lot!

I dont know it yet, but I also hope it doesnt get ruined!:D

Thanks guys!

Sarkis

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
233 reviews
6. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Spend as long as you can it's a nice little city.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Cool!!Any suggestion on good place to stay there??

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Can you give us an idea of the kind of place you prefer - Chiang Mai has heaps of back packer options (especially around the old city) - it also has lots of great boutique hotels / B&Bs. Plus, the usual high rise options.

Any preferences - budget?

Caroline.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

Not budget at all, it must be well located, have cleen sheets and a good shower that really works! :D

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi Province
Level Contributor
23,782 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Chian Mai City: how many days should I spend?

I spent 5 days there recently and visited most of the Temples and went to the night market on all 5 evenings. I would certainly recommend visiting the Wat Phra Singh and To Doi Suthep (out of town) high up. Aside from an interesting Temple the location is beautiful.

I stayed in a budget place by the river.